Decent Map for Sri Lanka Needed

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Kinioo

Decent Map for Sri Lanka Needed

Post by Kinioo »

Morning All,

I am after a good (detailed) map for Sri Lanka:

- hard / paper version;
- maybe some electronic version ideally compatible with ViewRanger (if such a thing exists)??

Your thoughts guys ?!!
picos mestizo

Re: Decent Map for Sri Lanka Needed

Post by picos mestizo »

Try Stanfords.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

You asked.the same question recently under Newbie section ...opps and got no reply..as they where at war for years the maps are outbof date...tourist maps for local south..or just ask a local.

Place in stourport sells maps and cheaper than stanfords...

Or just print a few google maps of the cities...

I use a etrex with breadcrumb trail so easy to see where ive been ..does your satnav do that?..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

byewayrider wrote:You asked.the same question recently under Newbie section ...opps and got no reply..as they where at war for years the maps are outbof date...tourist maps for local south..or just ask a local.

Place in stourport sells maps and cheaper than stanfords...

Or just print a few google maps of the cities...

I use a etrex with breadcrumb trail so easy to see where ive been ..does your satnav do that?..
Yeah, I though I posted it somewhere but didn't know where the post went !!!

Sorry,

and thanks for replies !
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

You can get a map over there easily and bike hire is cheap. About £3.30 for 24 hrs bike hire which are probably going to be old xr250's. I went there for 3 months in the civil war and hired a bike to go from the South to just past Kandy. Petrol was super cheap and just about everything else plus ride anywhere!

I went over the mountains on the way to Noralia following the paths crossing the jungle and tea plantations. People welcomed me and very friendly all the way and some amazing sites.

The tiny hamlets hidden away in the mountains the people treat like a film star! They all came out and waved and when i stopped surrounded by very interested people what i was doing and why.

Normal road traffic there doesnt seem to be any rules.... do what you like but beware so does every one else and you really dont want hospital treatment over there.
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Hi, the maps provided to me by the hire company were fairly good.

West coast is highly populated, the further East it gets a lot quieter and I think better.

Highlight for me were the tea plantations around Kandy and Aragum Bay.

Andy
Pompier

Post by Pompier »

Hi,

We are off cycling in Sri Lanka in Jan and I have just got an open source map for may Garmin Edge 800 from http://www.shepherdswalks.co.uk/ you need to phone and ask as its not listed on their website (£19 on a micro sd). You could source yourself from the opensource mapping that is available.

Also with regard to guides and maps i found out this info, hope it helps:

Maps
The issue is that for Asia, no-one produces 1:50.000 maps, a scale 10 times smaller is pretty good going
a) Sri Lanka 1:500.000 scale, published from Rough Guide ISBN 978-1-84836-172-0.
b) There is also Periplus (from Singapore). It's at a scale of 1:525,000 which is OK. It looks good, with a map of the whole country on the obverse and detailed city maps of Colombo, Kandy and other towns on the reverse. Price £6.99.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Pompier wrote:Hi,

We are off cycling in Sri Lanka in Jan and I have just got an open source map for may Garmin Edge 800 from http://www.shepherdswalks.co.uk/ you need to phone and ask as its not listed on their website (£19 on a micro sd). You could source yourself from the opensource mapping that is available.

Also with regard to guides and maps i found out this info, hope it helps:

Maps
The issue is that for Asia, no-one produces 1:50.000 maps, a scale 10 times smaller is pretty good going
a) Sri Lanka 1:500.000 scale, published from Rough Guide ISBN 978-1-84836-172-0.
b) There is also Periplus (from Singapore). It's at a scale of 1:525,000 which is OK. It looks good, with a map of the whole country on the obverse and detailed city maps of Colombo, Kandy and other towns on the reverse. Price £6.99.
Sounds like very nice cycling trip you plan there !!!

a) did you manage to get it in here in UK or via uk based website ?? I can only see it available from US ??

b) same here: Where from ? Is it this one http://www.periplus.com/p/9780794606039 ... ri%20lanka

Cheers
Pompier

Post by Pompier »

Hi,

I have only bought the mapping for my garmin as already have some gpx routes for our trip.

The map info was from a friend but we decided that the garmin mapping and a copy of the Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (has good bits of maps in it) is more than enough for our trip.

If anywhere has these maps I would try "The Map Shop" http://www.themapshop.co.uk

If they don't have something no one will.

B. Yes that looks like the periplus map.

Hope this helps....
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Suranga at Sha Lanka motorbike tours will sort you with a bike. He has some bigger bikes, which are strictly not allowed in Sri Lanka. $25/30 a day. (Don't know where Mike Wright found his bikes for that money. Even a twist and go scoot is £3/£4)

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... style.html
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... yle-2.html

I have the Rough Guide map. Works for me.
Sometimes difficult when in the countryside to know which village/town you're riding through. Few name boards in English

Return to “TRAVEL”