Vietnam ,Cambodia ,Laos

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
kito

Vietnam ,Cambodia ,Laos

Post by kito »

Just booked myself a flight to Hanoi Vietnam for the 5th December till the end of January . Can't wait. So the rough plan is to fly into Hanoi and buy a bike . Minsk or Honda 125 what ever comes my way cheep. Then start heading south down to Ho Chi Minh then on towards Cambodia . Hoping to take the bike over the border and ride across the Mekong delta to sihanoukville from here start heading north an on towards Laos. Once I get as far as Vientiane I'll be making my way back to Hanoi to sell the bike an get my flight home.....sounds easy when I put it like that. I'm shore it won't all go to plan and the might be a few changes of plan on the way but I can't wait now. I'm going to be taking my hammock ,tarp and fishing rod so the should be a few stops along the way. 7 weeks to try completing the trip. I'd like to take longer but I need to be back for a mates stag do. Has anyone on here done this ride ? Any advice welcome
Did I say I can't wait whoooooo hooo
special one

Re: Vietnam ,Cambodia ,Laos

Post by special one »

That sounds frickin awesome, Vietnam is a place on my bucket list.

Have fun and take plenty of pics (thumbs)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
kito

Post by kito »

Something for the inspiration ...looking at this I won't make it out of Vietnam
Phil

Post by Phil »

im planning on going out there next year backpacking.

keep us posted and good luck

Phil
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

My son is in Vietnam right now with a few mates. They travelled there by train crossing Russia, Mongolia and Chine en route. They bought Honda H100's or similar for $250 each in Hanoi and will ride them South to either sell or export to Laos or Cambodia or where ever they end up. Reports sound fantastic so far but its been raining a lot - warm rain though. Very cheap to live - hotels at $8 a room or less.

jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Loads of good information on here.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... /forum.php

Highlights of our Laos trip were Luang Prabang and Si Pan Don (4000 islands)
In Vietnam we enjoyed Hanoi. Halong Bay is stunning, but very cold in November.

(thumbs) Very envious.
IndigoSteve

Vietnam ,Cambodia ,Laos

Post by IndigoSteve »

You lucky devil. Have a cool time. Stay safe then come to a Ralley and tell us all about it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

kito wrote:
Something for the inspiration ...looking at this I won't make it out of Vietnam
I had to stop watching that after a minute otherwise I would be gate-crashing your trip :lol:

I'm not much help as I only backpacked most of your suggested loop 8 years ago. I recall crossing the border in the mountains from Vientiane back into Vietnam during February was ridiculously cold and wet.

A couple of regrets for me was not getting to Halong Bay, Plain of Jars (Laos) and Si Phan Don (Laos - as already mentioned above). Too many numerous highlights for me to get caught up in what I missed though! ;)

I rented scooters in Hoi An, Nha Trang and Hue to shoot out into the surrounding country side and places of interest. Having never ridden a scoot before, I didn't realise just how much fun you can have on them :silly: The traffic looks absolutely mental from the outside but seems to work and once in amongst it, becomes a shed load of fun (thumbs)

Laos for me was the real highlight from a country perspective with chilled out, laid back and relaxed no stress population.

Enjoy, I am sure you will have blast. Beer Lao and Bah Bah Bah (333 in Vietnam) are beers for the win :lol:
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

You will have a fantastic time.

I visited Laos last November. I hired a Honda XR250 in Vientiane and headed North. I then hired a Honda CRF250X in Luang Prabang. I actually enjoyed the older XR more than the CRF because it was lighter, although the CRF was more comfortable when SWMBO was on the back. Definitely try and get away from the main roads and off the well beaten tourist track, it's well worth it.

For GPS maps, you can't beat this man GPS Maps. I used in combination with the Free OSM maps and had no problems. (I have the laos map on SD card which I would sell for half it cost me if your interested)

Happy to help if I can with any questions

Here are some pictures

yoda

Post by yoda »

Looks awesome, hope you're going to post pics on here etc when you get back...makes my planned road trip in Aus look a bit mincy now :)
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.

Return to “TRAVEL”