Advice please from any N Ireland riders ref Southern Germany/Austria.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Mac 60

Advice please from any N Ireland riders ref Southern Germany/Austria.

Post by Mac 60 »

Hi guys, Iam in the early planning stages of a trip to Southern Germany in July. Not the most experienced tourer I need advice on ferrys to get from N Ireland to set me up for the route down to Southern Germany. My time frame is approx 10 days in the saddle but my concern is time spent getting from N Ireland to the continent and back wouldent make it worth while. Last year I spent the same time in France but I simply rode to Rosslaire in the R.O.I and took the ferry direct to Rosscoff but this dosent seem like an option for Germany. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Tourider

Re: Advice please from any N Ireland riders ref Southern Germany/Austria.

Post by Tourider »

I think your best route would be crossing on the fast ferry from Dublin to Holyhead in time to ride to Hull to pick up the overnight ferry to Rotterdam.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Dublin to Holyhead on the Jonathan Swift (fast cat) down to Folkstone for the train as this maximizes your travel time and its quicker and cheaper.
Hull Rotterdam is nice but you lose time with the other travel arrangement's and its cheaper on the Tunnel,

Steve
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Larne, across the pond, down to Hull (316 miles and one day travelling so far) - to Rotterdam (two days travelling so far), then that long ride down to Austria (600+ miles - four days travelling so far probably).

Rosslare to France would be my choice to avoid going through the UK at all as the M6 etc. can be dreadfully slow and it would kick 'holiday' mode in quicker. It's under a 1000 miles from NW France to Austrian border.

It all depends on whether you're an iron butt type person or 200-250 mile per day type person.

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

I would look at catching an early morning Belfast to Cairnryan ferry option (~2 hours) before riding to Newcastle (~4 hours) for the overnight Ferry to Amsterdam that departs at 5pm each afternoon.

This option would have you arriving on the continent 24 hours after leaving home, saves you one night of accommodation and also being within 900klm of your destination of the Austrian border. You are also well placed for some unrestricted autobahn options should you wish to expedite the journey southwards.

Lastly, motorways/autobahns in Netherlands, Germany and Belgium are currently free whereas France are not. I presume that you do not wish to be on motorways, but should you need to be somewhere then it is nice knowing that they are there to make up ground without costing you an arm and a leg to use them.
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Thanks DaleC that's a route I hadent thought of. Keeps me from having to ride down to the South of England. Think i have my starting point now :-)
suzivstrom650

Post by suzivstrom650 »

Hi Mac,
I rode up from Birmingham to Cairnryan earlier this year using M6 and it was crap!(didnt have time for more scenic route).On the other hand Ive rode Newcastle to cairnryan too and its not half bad. (thumbs) so i would go for the DaleC route if possible,you,d feel on holiday far sooner!
D.
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Mac,

DFDS Newcastle to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) is the way to go. If you have 10 days South Tyrol in Austria is worth the effort. Good place to make a base & ride out from there. You can do three countries in a single day ride from there. Beautiful scenery & great mountain passes. There is plenty of accomodation options. The area is geared up for motorcyclists in the summer months & for the ski crowds in winter. Noting wrong with Southern Germany all the same.
All the best with your planning. If you need any just send a pm.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

I do the breada rally in Belgium and i leave Manchester at 3-4 o clock in the morning and aim the event about 13.00hrs, i hate the drive down the m6/40/25 etc but at that time no traffic and in the summer hol mode kicks in when the sun gets up

Steve
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

The M6 is just a pain always road works. This time (two days ago) roadworks for a good few miles before the toll turn, heading south. The A55/M56 was closed too. The problem with the UK motorway system is the amount of people that need to use it. It is ok once but I have done it 16-17 times in the last 7-8 years. Always because it is the cheapest way to do it and the tunnel is just so handy but nearly too handy you don't get a chance to recover before you are in France.

But next year I am going to try either Hull or Newcastle.

Then there is Operation Stack, been caught in that once.

Return to “TRAVEL”