Landrover

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Dutchgit

Re: Landrover

Post by Dutchgit »

As much as I like the things we just had to look at the economic side of it. The Disco would do about 25/30 Mpg where the Beemer does about 55/60 Mpg.
Seeing we do about 40.000 km per year that's a fair saving.
The Disco would get (a lot of) new oil every 10.000km where the Beemer requires a service only every 30.000 km.
That's a good saving on transportation all together I'd say and it leaves more money for bikes (thumbs)
We don't tow a caravan any more and we don't drive off road so there's no reason to own one other than we like them.
We'll get a van next year as that's practical and we have uses for it. Be it as a second car, a holiday vehicle or to move/get stuff for my own business which might be getting off the ground.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

I love my Landy ..... Discovery 3 B)

Usually... when it works anyway :laugh:
FAT MATT

Post by FAT MATT »

I really really wanted a 90 defender, saw loads and all made out of cheese. So I brought a 4.0ltr straight six jeeo wrangler.

image_2014-10-30.jpg
image_2014-10-30.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
special one

Post by special one »

As I live close to both JLR assembly plants and they are a huge employer in this area, I still think they are world beaters.
They have dramatically improved in the last few years, it's no wonder we also export 80% to the rest of the world.

The early defenders and all the free landers are rubbish, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, but I'd have a defender any day, they do what they say on the tin.

My friend has a brand new defender, tv monitors in the head rests, full heated leather, it's the nuts, wouldn't take one off road though, too expensive.

I'd really like a range rover tbh, modern one, full size not the Cheshire fake also know as a sport model.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Farmer Palmer

Post by Farmer Palmer »

Always had them on the farm...............Noisy, drafty, slow, leaks in the rain but they're tough as old boots and if you look after the chassis with loads of Waxoyl and old John Deere oil it'll last forever............My last 90 TD5 'Utility' was stolen and I replaced it with this which I took on holiday last week instead of the GS
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014104.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014104.JPG (44.99 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014055.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014055.JPG (71.13 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014092.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014092.JPG (71.2 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014054.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014054.JPG (27.64 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Griffclio

Post by Griffclio »

Love the look of Defenders but unfortunately if like me you have wide shoulders you have to adopt the window down elbow out stance, check out how many Landy drivers you see doing this.Had a new TD5 Discovery many years ago which I did 165,000 miles in including lots of towing and whilst it was a good old bus and great for high mileage days I did spend a small fortune on keeping it going, chassis was showing signs of rust at only 1year old which was really bad.Got a Shogun 3.5 v6 now which has done 118,000miles and hardly anything at all has gone wrong with it and it hides its mileage really well but is bloody dire on fuel!Hate to say it but the build quality on the jap Shogun is light years ahead of the Land Rover so much so ive just ordered a new Mitsubishi L200 barbarian for work purposes. Having said that I still think the Defenders are cool but you pay a hell of a lot for that Kudos!
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

devon john wrote:over 70% are still on the road.
And the other 30% made it to their destination :lol:
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Farmer Palmer wrote:Always had them on the farm...............Noisy, drafty, slow, leaks in the rain but they're tough as old boots and if you look after the chassis with loads of Waxoyl and old John Deere oil it'll last forever............My last 90 TD5 'Utility' was stolen and I replaced it with this which I took on holiday last week instead of the GS
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014104.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014055.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014092.JPG
BlackForestandArdenneOctober2014054.JPG
When i first read your text and saw the ist pic, i thought aup lad!its Mr Farmer Palmer from now on.

Steve
Joe Thumper

Post by Joe Thumper »

No offence to British Engineering, but the LR Defender is an agricultural tool. I owned 2 for about 10 years and probably spent more time under them than in them. For real RTW travel there is only 2 vehicles for me.

The Toyota Land Cruiser
Mercedes Unimog
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Joe Thumper wrote:No offence to British Engineering, but the LR Defender is an agricultural tool. I owned 2 for about 10 years and probably spent more time under them than in them. For real RTW travel there is only 2 vehicles for me.

The Toyota Land Cruiser
Mercedes Unimog
Everyone to their own, friend of mine going back a few years use to work for an overlanding RTW company and they used the suzuki xj1300 jeeps because they could get them any where, a bit like the light weight bikes and they where very reliable,
There is a company in Leeds, i think it is called armory who seriously mod these jeeps.

Any thoughts on these

Steve

Return to “TRAVEL”