Favourite Alpine pass?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
africajim

Favourite Alpine pass?

Post by africajim »

Hi all, everyone has their own favourites, Jeremy Clarkson reckons the Col de Stelvio is the greatest driving road in the world, well I agree it is a stunning pass, the ladders on the Swiss side are a bit tight, even for my peg-scraping tastes but not my personal favourite.
My favourite pass,,, well,,, as they are ajoining, passes, are the Col De Iseran and the Col de Mont Cenice, from Val de sere in France into Italy, the sweetest sweepers through the world's finest scenery. Second place goes to the Col de Galibier, one of the tour de France routes, stunning!
I'm sure some out there have their own favourites?
Honda, the power of dreams.
Mark Manley

Re:Favourite Alpine pass?

Post by Mark Manley »

I do not have a favourite Alpine pass, but anybody headed that way could do worse than check out this site to help with their research on where to go.

http://www.alpineroads.com/index.php
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
africajim

Post by africajim »

One of the guys on that forum's a good mate of mine, Bournetoride, we met a good few yrs back in Bardonnechia at the Stella Alpina rally, on his signature there's a GPS showing altitude, well, that's my Garmin etrex Legend CX!
There's a lot of people head for the Alps every year! I didn't this yr for a change, The Rheine valley was a hoot though!
Honda, the power of dreams.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Just to pick this up again, I have a favorite circular route covering three passes in the French Alps. Starting point can be either Bourg d'Oisins or St Michael de Maurienne and it takes you over the Col de Croix de Fer, the Col de Telegraphe and the Galibier. Not particularly long at around 200km but with sightseeing stops, lunch etc it can take most of the day.

Near the top of the Croix de Fer

View from the top of the Galibier

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Alun

Post by Alun »

Gentlemen, I can only assume you have not been to the Dolomites. The best passes and most jaw dropping scenery is awaiting you.
dolomitespasses.jpg
dolomitespasses.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

OOhh this is a good thread, favourite Alpine pass, i don't think i have one . They all have thier own querks.
Stelvio is tiring with neck breaking looks over your shoulder to see whats coming down to the very tight hairpins.
Stelvio__austrian_side_1_WEB.jpg
Stelvio__austrian_side_1_WEB.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

Grimsell and Furkha just let you ride into scenery overload, with views and a ride that stays with you .

Although not Alpine but still in the spirit I think, my favourite is a road in the Picos in Spain , From Santander follow the coast to San Vincente , Just as you leave head into the mountains towards Potes, Riano, Sabero and onto Leon. Magnificent twists and turns that hug the cliffs and up and down the valley's , beautifull.
We had a bit of a rocky crossing, and then rode all day with the bikes going from left to right constently, we arrived at the hotel washed changed and went for a bite to eat. My friend Martin (strimstrum) went ghostly white and he said his legs where sinking into the black and white chequered floor , complete motion sickness, he lost the plot lol, but it was the first time in 24hrs where we were not rocking from side to side . I shall try and find a few pics, just swopped my PC and haven't got all the pics and videos loaded yet .
Attachments
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Ok I am a newbie and completely cocked that up , put the wrong photo up and i couldn't find a way of editing that photo, so for those with patience here is the grimsell and furkha passes
Furka_grimsell_WEB.jpg
Furka_grimsell_WEB.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
charlie

Post by charlie »

P1020282.JPG
P1020282.JPG (253.03 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

For me always the last one is the best one. So for now Grossglockner in Austria
scouse

Post by scouse »

For the options from the top... gravel... tarmac.. other passes... Colle Delle Finistre

Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Although not on the same scale as Stelvio, Furka, Grimsel, Gotthard, Simplon I crossed this little single track pass near Lake Idro in Northern Italy a couple of weeks back on my way to the Italian Horizons Unlimited meeting. No traffic and a gentle ride through the mountain air ..... ahhhh Bliss.
Italy_2010_036.jpg
Italy_2010_036.jpg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

Return to “TRAVEL”