scandinavia

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
spasm

scandinavia

Post by spasm »

well just watched henry cole. scandinavia. thats thrown a spanner in the works. i wanna go there this year now lol. looks lovely there. so has anyone toured norway, sweden, finland. wot would be the best time of year to go in terms of weather? is it expensive. is there plenty of camping. and how cold is it hahaha brrrr
some stunning scenery for sure
(thumbs)
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
spasm

Re: scandinavia

Post by spasm »

i only need one wheel .......... the rear
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

I wrote that! when I ran 'Northern Bike Tours'
It was done in 2006 when we lived in Sweden and where I travelled extensively around Scandinavia. Most of it is still relevant. As for the questions:
- best time to go? Depends what you are after, but I'd certainly recommend late June, as it's the midsummer celebrations and the nights are long and the weather usually good (can be hitty-missy at anytime though)
- is it expensive? Norway horrendously so,for everything, Sweden about on par with the UK (except buying drinks in a pub or restaurant where it's also dear)
- can you camp where you like? yes, 'Allmansratten' (any man's right) allows this, provided it's not overlooking someones property)There are also lots of camp sites with facilities.
- general? Scenery is stunning in Norway from mid point up. Can be a little boring in Sweden .... lake/forest/lake/forest. Gravel roads (lots) are fun. Mosquitos are horrendous in summer. It's only really cold in winter (we often had minus 30c.
If you want to know anything specific, pm me.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

The ferry information is way out of date. DFDS stopped the direct routes to Norway snd Sweden in 2008 (one of the reasons we left). It is now only possible to ferry directly from England to Norway or Sweden on DFDS Tor Line from Immingham to Gothenburg (it's a commercial line that accepts passengers). Otherwise, its a ferry to other European ports and drive up - and it's a LONG way!
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Nice little piece there Mosel, thanks. I'm planning on the Nordkapp trip next summer, and although I'll have full camping gear, I wondered what my chances are of turning up on spec at a site and finding available basic cabins without booking in advance?
I have also read somewhere that one can expect 20 days of rain a month during the summer months way up north. Bit like the UK I guess then!
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Yes and Yes.
There is an abundance of camp sites and other accommodation and you'd be unlucky to be turned away because they're full. In addition to the usual marked sites, keep an eye out for 'Stuga' on make-do signs on the side of the road. They are wooden structures (anything from a glorified shed to a full-on log cabin) and are often let informally by farms or even general households. They are good value, comfortable and dry. The other good thing about using them is that you often get to meet local people and they can be very hospitable - sometimes inviting you into their homes or to a local celebration. Mind, in Norway, even these can be expensive by UK prices.
It doesn't surprise me about the rain. Indeed, I think Bergen still holds the statistical accolade of being the wettest place in Europe. Certainly, every time I've travelled through Norway it has rained a LOT. Don't let it put you off though. When it's nice, it's stunning.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

The camping cabins are a godsend. We did a family trip round the Baltic in August 2008 and I remember the tent in its bag, upside down in a bucket to drain off from the soaking it got the night before :huh:
bladesman

Post by bladesman »

Re Ferries,we went from Harwich to Esjberg,Denmark,then rode up the West Coast on fantastic roads to Hirtschalls where we took the ferry to Kristiansand,Norway. We were staying with friends in Manger,about an hour North of Bergen.It took about 9 hours to travel 250 miles,due to the tunnels and two inland Ferries needed.It is a must do trip in my opinion and I will certainly be doing it again.Cheers,Bladesman.
Shrek

Post by Shrek »

I'm planning on doing it this year hope to leave the UK the beginning of June and take the long ride from France via Demark.

If time isn't an issue how time should I put aside - starting in Denmark, Sweden Norway and return down Finland to Estonia?

Also I have heard it "might" be possible to cut through Russia to get to Estonia?

Any advise please

Thanks Daren
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Why does everyone go to Nordkapp when you can go even further North (albeit by only a few minutes/ fraction of a degree. Nordkapp is expensive (you have to pay to be there) and very touristy; the whaling town of Gramvik and the lighthouse at Sletness are even further North.

The scenery in Sweden is boring compared to Norway. Riding up through Finland was pretty boring once past the 'lake district' as day after day through dark pine forest isn't that inspiring to be honest. (I went via Tallinn-Helsinki and up to Arctic Finland before crossing over to Norway north of Rovaniemi)

Next time I'll stick to the Norweigian coast as I preferred the scenery that way (Alesund-Trollsteigen-Trondheim-Bodo-Lofoten Islands (unmissable)-Tromso-Gramvik.

Estonian border with Russia at Narva (Estonia)Ivangorod (Russia)is certainly 'doable' and up via Murmansk-Kirkenes would be an interesting alternative.

For Norway I took 4 weeks worth of Uncle Bens and quick-cook pasta as the prices are unbelievable: treated myself to local cheese, bread and some tomatoes: £15 and as a reward on the way back , I had a cappuccino and a cream cake:£12!

Over the limit? Starting point is 30 days B&B;
Speeding? 1000Eu/Km over the speed limit and yes they do take Visa!

You wouldn't want to speed anyway as the scenery really is that jaw-dropping .

Enjoy, you'll love it, I'm thinking of going back again :)

Return to “TRAVEL”