Costs getting to the south of France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Mike101

Costs getting to the south of France

Post by Mike101 »

Afternoon all,

So i'm off to see my brother in the south of France in a few weeks and i've come up with some interesting numbers re the cost. He lives an hour south east of Toulouse in a town called Castelnaudry.

I came up with three options.

1. Ferry to a channel port and then ride down and back. This will take 2 days riding 600 miles each day.

2. Ferry to a channel port and then ferry from Spain back. This will take 2.5 days...1 x 600 mile day...1/2 day 350 miles and 1 day on ferry. this is a seat and no cabin on the ferry from spain.

3. Cheapest ferry deal to spain and back. This will take 3 days. 2 days on ferry and 2 x 1/2 day riding 350 miles each day. This is a seat an not a cabin on the ferry

I included all costs such as fuel and tolls in the numbers and this is what i got.

1. £388
2. £372
3. £398

I'm not very flexiable on the dates i can go. So what lokoed a very expensive ferry to spain looks kind of OK to me....still a lot of money though.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
OB1

Re: Costs getting to the south of France

Post by OB1 »

The Chunnel is your friend! (thumbs)

As little as £30 each way and much quicker than the ferry.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Me, I'd go for a cabin on the ferry. But if you can put up with bawling kids and stuff then I suppose a seat might be ok.
Have you thought about Motorail? You can get one to Toulouse. The timetable might be a bit off putting.
http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#French Motorail
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

No way would I go on a ferry to or from Spain without a cabin and a bed :pinch:

Personally I'd use the tunnel then split the journey and camp overnight so I could take a bit longer and avoid the tolls. It'd work out cheaper and be a much more pleasant trip.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Hi all

The chunnel is no cheaper...that is option one with a £60 return ticket. The extra distance, fuell and tolls do not make it a cheap option for me.

A cabin on the ferry is £110 each way extra.

A stop in the middle will eat into my limited time.

No easy option i guess.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

When you going? in the summer months the fast cats do day crossings which can be faster /cheaper and no need for a cabin.. ( poole portsmouth or Newhaven).. what you havent factored in ( well maybe you have but not costed it) is the pleasure element.. sitting in the bay of biscay puking up compatred to a leisurely ride through France , stopping as and when , long lunches, sighseeing and great twisty roads... if you want a motorcycling holiday , why would you want to waste any of it on a boat??
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Bloody hell Mike, what you riding ? best i've done from Calais to ours is 7hrs 25min and that was on a Vara 1000 and youre another 2.5 hrs south of us !!!
Phil
chairhead64

Post by chairhead64 »

Each to their own I suppose,
but I'd rather be riding my bike than sat in a chair or laying on the floor trying to sleep along with a hundred or so strangers who have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

I know the Peage is long and boring but you'll see a lot more than you would on a boat,
its all about the riding, right? (thumbs)
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Bloody hell Mike, what you riding ? best i've done from Calais to ours is 7hrs 25min and that was on a Vara 1000 and youre another 2.5 hrs south of us !!!
Phil
I'll be on my K100. I reckon that from Calais it's 640 miles to my brothers place. I did Ullapool to home in a day and that was 645 miles...took me 12 hours in the saddle with 13 hrs in total taking in fuel stops etc.

From cherbourg it's 590 miles and 520 from Caen....and 370 from Santander.

The problem with long distance days is that it takes a day or so to get over it at the other end and i'm leaving on a Tuesday and arriving home on the following Monday.

Not sure whch option i will take...

The ferry looks nice as i can chill for a day but a cabin is too expensive..also i'm used to boats and i can sleep anywhere. I will find a corner of floor space and curl up with ear plugs in. if i can sleep next to my wifes snoring i can sleep on a ferry.

Mike
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

AndyB has it right in one.

Weather doesn't affect the chunnel, its decent and there are some nice routes down. 600 miles on your own is pushing it in one day, no one looking out for you, riding in the dark on the wrong side, risk of dehydration etc plus you wont be starting too early. You may find fatigue setting in after 350 -400 miles

Chunnel seems cheapest of all if you prebook it, plan for an overnight camp en route somewhere, no need to book as most camp sites should have spaces unless you are in the very peak of the season. Even then a solo camper is usually squeezed in somewhere so you can ride until you feel right. Have dinner out and skip cooking so you get some good rest. Maybe plan to do 350 - 400 miles and camp, next day then 250 miles gets you there early. Allows you to skip the tolls if you want. It will be better and also quicker than a ferry to Spain.

Chunnel option looks like £60 plus petrol 1200 miles say €225 £180 plus tolls plus 2 nights camping. Looks a lot cheaper and more fun. Coming back you can ride in the dark because you will be used to driving on the right. Don't do it going down if you can help it.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles

Return to “TRAVEL”