French travel Requirements ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
chico

Re: French travel Requirements ?

Post by chico »

Life's too short to worry about stupid technicalities and foreign riders don't give a shit when they visit here.[/quote][

i'd be totally impressed if I could be there when you said that to a pissed off cop....even more so if it was in their own language...... :whistle:

only joking....and not being judgemental.....entirely up to you at end of day (it is a chore when alls said and done)
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

I pass through France a couple of times a year and have never been stopped. I carry a hi vis and first aid because I always have them with me anyway and my usual documents.

When ever this question comes up there is always a comment about French police and fines and a list of items you don't need for a bike just for a car.

It strikes me that maybe some police are not sure of French bike law nd get it wrong in the same way English police do occasionally ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Never been stopped in France, got stopped in Germany for racing a "police Porche" well they were waving at me :blush: I just put my hands up all I said was thought you wanted me to go faster as I wasn't going particularly quick at the time. They laughed said something about me being stupid and drove off.

I have a GB sticker on the bike (stickers are cool remember :whistle: )I carry Hi Viz and some spare bulbs that's about it, people are more likely to wave at you than stop you

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
ullukk

Post by ullukk »

I spent a fortnight travelling round France last summer, i had the euro number plate on but no GB sticker, i put spare bulbs, hi viz, helmet stickers in tank bag and ended up not using them, never had any bother at all with the french police, even had a few friendly nods from local motorcycle bobbies when taking a break at side of road, i went out my way to keep off french motorways during trip but not sure if this makes any difference in not being stopped.
RoSy

Post by RoSy »

Just lifted this from The AA site

Quote "Since 3 January 2012 French laws have prohibited drivers from carrying any device capable of detecting speed cameras. This includes products or devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as Points of Interest."

Well, as far as I know all sat navs have this capability whether or not that this feature is turned on or off, so are they saying you cannot have a satnav fitted or even carry one in your pocket.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Spare bulb,,,,,, do they think I am going to change a bulb at the side of the road on a GSa without a full back up team of mechanics in the big 4x4 pick-up that follows me around, in the dark, in France ????? Mein Got !!!!

GB Sticker ???? They will all know you are not French by your miss matched suit, that is not beige and navy blue. The way you talk louder at the petrol station because the attendant is not understanding your Anglaizy.....
When you ask for butter on your Jambon roll, (so dry it could cure be used as sandbags in the South East).
Other proof;
Speaking to slow with a French accent, as if that helps.
Milk in your coffee..
Ketchup on everything,,
looking the wrong way when crossing the road.
Slowing down to an odd pace at your first roundabout off the ferry.
Not seeing most of the road signs on the motorway, because a major road junction should have a bigger sign than that. 3ft x 2 ft ???? Its should be the size of a gable end.
Turning around a lot when you miss the tiny road sign.
Life saver looks over the wrong shoulder then the left one, then the right again just in case.
Pretending that KPM speed limits are confusing to us despite the speedo being in both styles.
Nodding at other bikers, when they either hang a foot out to the left, or point at the floor.
Stopping at the next lay-by to check what the bloke was pointing at.

The main one of course, you will be the one with the two tons of gear on a large bore bike, when all around you are 14 year olds on mopeds, with baffles removed flat out at 21 KPH.

(thumbs) (thumbs)
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I resemble that remark :blush: :blush: well it was my first time over

Sat nav's can't see how there is a problem there seeing as most cars have them fitted now

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

RoSy wrote:Just lifted this from The AA site

Quote "Since 3 January 2012 French laws have prohibited drivers from carrying any device capable of detecting speed cameras. This includes products or devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as Points of Interest."

Well, as far as I know all sat navs have this capability whether or not that this feature is turned on or off, so are they saying you cannot have a satnav fitted or even carry one in your pocket.
Many satnavs do have speed cameras stored as POI. But if you've got European mapping and you plug your satnav into a computer to update it, the first thing that'll happen is all the French speed camera locations will mysteriously disappear.

The chances are they won't check. No gendarme has ever wanted to look at my satnav. But if you're really worried update your mapping and you will be fine.
Happiness has 125cc ...
johnnyboxer

French travel Requirements ?

Post by johnnyboxer »

AndyB wrote:I go to France about 6 times per year on the bike and don't do anything different to when I'm riding in the UK apart from carry a photocopy of my bike logbook or whatever it's called now.

Life's too short to worry about stupid technicalities and foreign riders don't give a shit when they visit here.
+1

Same stuff as here, never carried owt

No bulbs

No first aid kit

Nowt in 25 years touring
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
howlingmoon

Post by howlingmoon »

Road2Manchester wrote:Spare bulb,,,,,, do they think I am going to change a bulb at the side of the road on a GSa without a full back up team of mechanics in the big 4x4 pick-up that follows me around, in the dark, in France ????? Mein Got !!!!

GB Sticker ???? They will all know you are not French by your miss matched suit, that is not beige and navy blue. The way you talk louder at the petrol station because the attendant is not understanding your Anglaizy.....
When you ask for butter on your Jambon roll, (so dry it could cure be used as sandbags in the South East).
Other proof;
Speaking to slow with a French accent, as if that helps.
Milk in your coffee..
Ketchup on everything,,
looking the wrong way when crossing the road.
Slowing down to an odd pace at your first roundabout off the ferry.
Not seeing most of the road signs on the motorway, because a major road junction should have a bigger sign than that. 3ft x 2 ft ???? Its should be the size of a gable end.
Turning around a lot when you miss the tiny road sign.
Life saver looks over the wrong shoulder then the left one, then the right again just in case.
Pretending that KPM speed limits are confusing to us despite the speedo being in both styles.
Nodding at other bikers, when they either hang a foot out to the left, or point at the floor.

The main one of course, you will be the one with the two tons of gear on a large bore bike, when all around you are 14 year olds on mopeds, with baffles removed flat out at 21 KPH.

(thumbs) (thumbs)
:laugh: :laugh:
Great stuff. !!

Return to “TRAVEL”