Tunnel question

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Kenbo

Tunnel question

Post by Kenbo »

I will have to go visit family in Germany and was thinking about taking the tunnel rather than the ferry.

So what I am asking those in the know is can you just turn up and buy a ticket before getting aboard and will it cost much more than booking? I just like the idea of a bit of flexability for my return journey and would prefer not booking if possible.

Cheers
GB

Re: Tunnel question

Post by GB »

The cheapest way to tunnel is book well ahead, you can turn up and get a ticket, but it costs more and in high season you may have to wait a while.
Here is the thing, some Dutch friends of ours came over for a funeral and bought a one way ticket(not knowing how long the wake would last) emplaned to us how expensive it was, it turned out it was cheaper to buy a next return day ticket than a one way?? And not by a little bit nearly half the price!!
If you monitor some dates over the next few weeks and watch the prices go up as it gets nearer.
Finally back on a GS :D
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

A lot cheaper if you pre-book

But you can get open tickets that will give you the flexibility you want.

It comes up as an option when you book a crossing on the website (thumbs)

These days, the Tunnel is my preferred option for the short crossing
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

You can just turn up but its easy to book in advance

You get a ticket time and when you put it in the machine it gives you a few options of availability but you can turn up and see if you get on

We were booked on a 2:30 pm train on return from the Stella and we got there just after 10 am and got on fine
paulh7021

Post by paulh7021 »

DONT just turn up, we did and it cost megga money coming home from the stella last year, expensive mistake by us but haho you live and learn. Book in advance even 24/48 hours before it will be cheaper.

Paul
Honda 600 Hornet, Yamaha fazer 1000, Yamaha tenere xtz660, Suzuki v strom 1000, F650 gs twin spark, Honda xl 650 transalp, Bmw f650 gs, Yamaha XT660Z.
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

I had to divert to the Tunnel with my Mini Bus due to the French being on Strike at the Calais Ferry. I was doing Austria to Southampton in one go, solo, and wanted to use the shower in The Club Lounge.

At the tunnel they charged me 3 times the usual ticket price compared to when I book in advance.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

You can turn up Ad Hoc and it can be more expensive, but if you do need that flexibility turn up and book on line at the time or book on line just before you get there.

Easier and cheaper to do it that way

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Pre book.
On the bike we have been 3 hours early going out, 12 & 18 hours early coming back and 2 hours late coming back but always got on the next available train at no extra cost.
Don't know if it would be so easy in a car.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
jameskaya

Post by jameskaya »

Use to take mini buses of students climbing in shoot and always used the tunnel. I obviously prebooked but we often arrived early and once late and each time they just put us on the next train at no extra cost. I did not bother with the flexi ticket. If I was travelling in a peak period then Inwpuld definitely book a flexi.

Great service every time, quick and affordable.
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Thanks guys looks like the best idea is for me to book the day before I leave like a few of you have suggested.

Tonibe / Jameskaya good to know to can arrive early or late and still get on. leaving from Stitrling anything can hold me up on the road down (I will be doing it on the bike)

Thanks to all who replied appriciate the advice.

Return to “TRAVEL”