Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
minkyhead

Re: Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by minkyhead »

its usually worse when you get around the pointy bit of france at which point ill be nodding off ... just hibernate nick
a bit of rock and roll sends me nicley to sleep :sick:

itl be reet :woohoo:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I thought about all of this when I saw the size of the ferry.

A few years ago I was on the Irish ferry one time and they were stretchering people off at Holyhead - and that ship is big, and only about a four hour crossing.

I'm not sure myself about 20+ hours myself on a boat that size - still thinking about it.....

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

some people I have spoken to absolutely love the ferry crossing and see the 24 hours as part of the holiday and a good chance to rest, personally I think ferry crossing are beyond boring but then I have spent in excess of 12 years at sea.

Horse's for course's I believe

which ever way you go enjoy

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

This is why I'm riding through France to get to the pyrenees :laugh:
-Ralph-

Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by -Ralph- »

I haven't done that route on that ferry, though I have done it on the Pont Aven and the Cap Finistere. I have done Normandy to Portsmouth on that boat though and it is small, with not much to do. A small bar area, a restaurant area, and a tiny shop (smaller than my bathroom). Boredom on that route would be more of a concern to me than sea sickness, and as somebody said the bike falling over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i guess its needs must most of the time ..ive ridden back from viehela central pyranees via toulouse and calaise to liverpool ..literally stopping only for fuels a butty and the boat ..it took 22 hours all in none stop

portugal is anothe 400 clicks further on
so four out of me 10 days ould be travelling to and from ...and the motorway to touloise cant be described as pretty ..
the pont avon is th better boat for sure ...but ill be asleep for ten hours ..nice and freash and two days in hand two days acccomadation in hand and 8 tanks o f petrol in hand ...

its gives me and russ a extra two days riding where we want to ride ..saving all the fuel tyres and time ... in a ideal world ..we would all like to skip the boaty bit but for me it makes more sense to bite the bullet and take the boat..
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

minkyhead wrote:i guess its needs must most of the time ..ive ridden back from viehela central pyranees via toulouse and calaise to liverpool ..literally stopping only for fuels a butty and the boat ..it took 22 hours all in none stop

portugal is anothe 400 clicks further on
so four out of me 10 days ould be travelling to and from ...and the motorway to touloise cant be described as pretty ..
the pont avon is th better boat for sure ...but ill be asleep for ten hours ..nice and freash and two days in hand two days acccomadation in hand and 8 tanks o f petrol in hand ...

its gives me and russ a extra two days riding where we want to ride ..saving all the fuel tyres and time ... in a ideal world ..we would all like to skip the boaty bit but for me it makes more sense to bite the bullet and take the boat..
yeh not forgetting the nump ass and stiff shoulders and the saved money..2 nights digs each way and fuel = £250.. :woohoo:

mp3 a book and good company..yeh I know which I`m doing (thumbs)
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Redmurty wrote:some people I have spoken to absolutely love the ferry crossing and see the 24 hours as part of the holiday and a good chance to rest, personally I think ferry crossing are beyond boring but then I have spent in excess of 12 years at sea.

Horse's for course's I believe

which ever way you go enjoy

cheers Spud ;)
I regard the ferry crossing as part of the holiday.

France in 17 hours or so is fine and its as much as I could do, off at 11am so you don't really get time to be bored- you get on, eat, sleep and then its getting near port. But arriving at 8pm would hit me badly with boredom during the day, especially as there is not a lot to do on board. I still think for me it would be hit Roscoff and straight down the west of France. It might be motorway but to be honest I have done it many times and I love the route and the rest areas are fantastic. Just be careful though about arriving at a restaurant at 1pm on a Sunday, can be busy.

I know it means a stopover down around Bordeaux/Biarritz but its a lovely area as you hit the Pyrenees coming into Spain. The other thing is that with arriving at 8pm you are going to have to stay near Dijon so you will only really be moving the next morning. Bordeaux to Dijon is about 6 1/2 hours, Biarritz is only about 4 1/2 hours so the time saving is not immense.

Yes, horses for courses.....
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
MR X

Post by MR X »

Don't forget to take an additional ratchet strap to tie yourself down to the bunk :laugh: :laugh:

Helps to stop you levitating off the bunk (thumbs)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

No strange sex games please where English you know..but a good inflatable mrBlooby suit is handy.

Best of all the segulls dont go hungry.

Return to “TRAVEL”