Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Redmurty

Re: Has anyone used the LD Lines ferry to Spain?

Post by Redmurty »

minkyhead wrote:i guess its needs must most of the time ..ive ridden back from viehela central pyranees via toulouse and calaise to liverpool ..literally stopping only for fuels a butty and the boat ..it took 22 hours all in none stop

portugal is anothe 400 clicks further on
so four out of me 10 days ould be travelling to and from ...and the motorway to touloise cant be described as pretty ..
the pont avon is th better boat for sure ...but ill be asleep for ten hours ..nice and freash and two days in hand two days acccomadation in hand and 8 tanks o f petrol in hand ...

its gives me and russ a extra two days riding where we want to ride ..saving all the fuel tyres and time ... in a ideal world ..we would all like to skip the boaty bit but for me it makes more sense to bite the bullet and take the boat..
MH that all makes perfect sense, just wished I enjoyed ferry rides. 12 years at sea and I keep walking around looking at things that should of been maintained :pinch:

enjoy the trip if I had not been doing the HISS I would of been tempted

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

For comfort the Pont Aven must win, its well suited to the route and would be my preference, but its at a price.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

MR X wrote:Don't forget to take an additional ratchet strap to tie yourself down to the bunk :laugh: :laugh:

Helps to stop you levitating off the bunk (thumbs)
Hi Mr X,

Mr. T had the right idea -or rather his two mates did, if anyone is old enough to have watched the A Team*

Regs

Simon

* if not - Mr. T was terrified of flying, so almost every episode his pals devised ever more devious means to render him unconscious for the duration :laugh:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Nickw909

Post by Nickw909 »

Tramp, Minky, dont turn up early for the LD Lines ferry.....

Should have left at 16:00, we boarded at 16:30, it's now 18:00 and we're still sat in the dock.....

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Nickw909 wrote:Tramp, Minky, dont turn up early for the LD Lines ferry.....

Should have left at 16:00, we boarded at 16:30, it's now 18:00 and we're still sat in the dock.....

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
cheers Nick..let us know how the sailing went and if you arrived on time..we have cheap digs booked other end so if late we are on the street :woohoo: :laugh: ..

refund or free beer time from ld me thinks..

have a good time
Jayrob

Post by Jayrob »

minkyhead wrote:thing is nick if your prone to seasickness as i am too you may as well be miserable for half price
To true lol I`m on the Gijon crossing i`ll give it a go

it looks alright to me russ ..ive booked on it today ..apparantly were on the stormin norman ..or the good ship Norman Asturias

ittle be reet lad (thumbs) :evil:

Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I guess I must be real lucky. I've crossed the Bay of Biscay some dozen or more times, even in December, and always with Brittany Ferries, and always had a smooth crossing. I've crossed on three different ships over the years, and yes the Pont Aven is best. I'm not a sailor and certainly don't have sea legs, felt ill many a time but never actually threw up. For me, it's 24hours of kicking back, then as if by magic you've escaped the traffic congestion, grey skies and wet roads, and in biking Nivana.
BTW has anyone ever had a bike go over on a rough crossing? Much damage and who coughed up for it?
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Seasickness is a strange thing to behold and it's not nice at all for anybody.

I am on the water a lot in yachts so I've been there, done it and seen it all when it comes to blowing chunks.

The two most important things to do are...

Drink lots of water....if you feel I'll you won't drink so you will feel ill and down and down you go.

Lay flat on the floor or a bed...when you are laying flat you are not affected by it. You must do this before you start to feel ill.

Trust me as they do work.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Spike941 wrote:I guess I must be real lucky. I've crossed the Bay of Biscay some dozen or more times, even in December, and always with Brittany Ferries, and always had a smooth crossing. I've crossed on three different ships over the years, and yes the Pont Aven is best. I'm not a sailor and certainly don't have sea legs, felt ill many a time but never actually threw up. For me, it's 24hours of kicking back, then as if by magic you've escaped the traffic congestion, grey skies and wet roads, and in biking Nivana.
BTW has anyone ever had a bike go over on a rough crossing? Much damage and who coughed up for it?
Mate of mine had his bike (Aprilia Tuono) go down on an LD Lines Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing on the Norman Voyager (same boat as the Norman Asturias). It wasn't that rough, just they didn't tie it down properly. £2500 damage and LD Lines coughed up.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Spike941 wrote: For me, it's 24hours of kicking back, then as if by magic you've escaped the traffic congestion, grey skies and wet roads, and in biking Nivana.
Glad you've had a good trip, you've been lucky as ther ehas been some terribel weather over the last weeks - incluidng a tragic fishing boat lost with all hands :(

On a brighter note: can you tell me where the terminal is, in the city or out amongst the docks?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL”