Advice: Headlight deflectors abroad

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tourider

Re: Advice: Headlight deflectors abroad

Post by Tourider »

Some bikes do not have a headlight with a bias so they don't need a deflector. Deflectors are the same as the ones used on cars, I never use them but I don't ride at night. Spare bulbs are a legal requirement in most countries but high-viz is not. Breath test kits are compulsory in France but as there's no fine for not carrying one why bother? The reflective tape on helmets is a legal requirement but as far as I can see is not enforced.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Check to see if your lights dip vertically, if they do then no beam deflector needed.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

As above. Beams are either left, right or 'flat' (meaning straight). A lot of newer bikes use flat beams (versys/er6 range for example). Easy enough to check, just stand the bike a few meters from a wall - back of garage is ideal - in the dark, lights on and see if the beam kicks one way or the other. Likewise, some bikes have very powerful lights/beams (like my V Strom) others don't (like my ktm). If it's a poor light, chances are noone will notice either way! Don't know about the K?
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Must admit my husband and I don't bother with them and we average over 10k abroad most years.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

On bikes with side by side headlights with one being dip and the other main beam it'll usually make a difference but on stacked ones they should just dip without moving towards the left for the UK.

I've never bothered doing anything about them when I go to Europe because most of the time I've stopped for the night by the time it gets dark and if I'm late then sorry but the other drivers will just have to deal with it and I'll be past in a second or two (thumbs)
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I've never used them on my bikes. Carry a set of spare bulbs and s High-Viz and you're sorted and safe.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Most jap bikes have a "flat" dip so it doesn't matter.

Bikes with a projector lense are a real pain as they are impossible to mask correctly anyway--the masking is internal next to the bulb and the only way is to rotate the lense--this is possible, but usually a pain involving taking bolts out and repositioning--basically adjust down a bit and don't bother--but perhaps put a bit of black tape on to show that you have tried.
CB
bimota

Post by bimota »

25 years of touring all over europe never once touched my lights.

rob

Return to “TRAVEL”