Advice please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
shayes

Advice please

Post by shayes »

I am sure this has already been mentioned on here somewhere but I am planning a weeks holiday to europe in june , ive been a few times before twice as pillion abd twice on my own bike. This year im off on my own when my Husband goes to the TT, how easy is it on the tunnel to calais and how easy is it to get out of calais? I will have a tomtom rider but I have always used a Ducati sat nav I.e I've always followed my Husband on his multi. This is about the only part of the trip that I'm worried about. Thanks in advance for any advice, Cheers Steph.
"From here there are many possibilities"
wideparting

Re: Advice please

Post by wideparting »

very easy,sidestand down,leave the bike in gear.only slight shaking when the train slows down/speeds up.when you get off the other side,just follow everyone else,the main road out of the station is well signposted,but even if you go wrong,come off at the next junction and turn around.enjoy your trip. j ps.there is a petrol station/cafe just as you come out of the station.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Not being funny but ride on ride off and turn left or right depending on where you want to go, it is actually that easy the first time I did it I actually stopped to check I had done nothing wrong as it was to easy, I know that probably sounds odd but that's the Irish in me.

I've always found the staff helpful as well

Enjoy cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Agree with what the others have said - it really is so easy and absolutely nothing to be concerned about. The train journey is over before you even think too much about it. Brilliant.

Never had a problem with Calais either - just follow the signposts for your route.

Enjoy your trip.

Paul :)
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Hi Shayes and welcome to ABR :)
Well done for going off on a trip by yourself, don't worry about the tunnel it is so easy. They usually wave the bikes over to one side just before the entrance to the train, so all the bikes usually load together in the same carriage, so even if you are unsure of your Sat Nav one of the others may offer to lead you out. It is fairly well sign posted tho and my Sat Nav gets it right.
Have a great trip (thumbs)
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Welcome to ABR Steph and enjoy your jaunt around Europe - your first trip travelling alone is always exciting and memorable. Be interesting to know where you're heading and whether you have a route in mind.
Regarding leaving Calais from the shuttle, very easy and hard to go wrong. I'm a regular user, doing it several times a year. When you leave the train, you go up a steeply ramped exit, at the top turn to the right, then follow the road which goes directly onto the motorway (non-peage). Within the first few hundred meters you will see signs for various exits, depending on where you're heading (ie Lille if Northern France or Dunkerque if heading east to Belgium and beyond). That's the only place you need to concentrate, so you begin on the right route.

If you're heading for or through Germany, we're in the beautiful Mosel Valley, near the Nurburgring. My wife Lynne also rides (road and trail) so if you need somewhere to stay (we run a bikers guest house) or just advice on routes/roads/things to see, don't hesitate to get in touch by pm.

All the best. (thumbs)
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
andymac

Post by andymac »

Tip... Carry lots of small change for the payage /tolls easy reach,, also a good place to put your ticket!!!!!! It saves all the beeping,,lol
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
phillh

Post by phillh »

Small tankbags are really useful when going abroad, ideal for holding passports, tickets, small change etc conveniently. Saves a lot of time faffing around in jacket pockets for things (thumbs)
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

andymac wrote:Tip... Carry lots of small change for the payage /tolls easy reach,, also a good place to put your ticket!!!!!! It saves all the beeping,,lol
Alternative tip: When you roll of the tunnel train turn right onto the A16 and head for Belgium, no tolls!
Heff

Post by Heff »

Much the same comments as the previous posts.

Book your ticket in advance on-line, much cheaper than buying at the terminal just before departure.

Well done you for taking the plunge to go it alone (thumbs)

PS Welcome to the forum....Enjoy
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black

Return to “TRAVEL”