Packing

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
AndyB

Packing

Post by AndyB »

Am I the only one stupid enough to actually enjoy getting everything ready and packing for a trip away?

It's been dry today so I've pitched my winter tent to make sure it's ok, put the tarp up with this tent so I know exactly how I want it to be then bagged it all in waterproof bags so it's ready to strap straight onto the bike.

The panniers are bolted back on and the last of the winter prep work has been done so the bike's ready to go and all that's left is to pile everything into the panniers and I'm good to go. I've even been cunning enough to put all the tools I'm taking into a Kriega US10 so that can be strapped to the top of a pannier where it's easy to get at so there's nothing more to do really.

I wish I was going tomorrow rather than in a week but I'll cope :)
P4ulie

Re: Packing

Post by P4ulie »

Nope me too. Been known to have to unpack half of it as run out of crackers halfway through the week :blush:

It's my favourite bit of the prep, laying it all out & realising you've far too much tat to fit in your bags :laugh:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Gareth 1979

Post by Gareth 1979 »

+1 for packing/preparing!

It's a part of the whole trip, I find it's like starting the trip before the date you have set. The planning/prep is is the part of the trip you can do while still at work.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Better doing it now than last minute

My stuff's quite refined now so I have all tent, tarp sleep bag bivvy bag etc in one bag that's always ready to go, a pannier with cooking stuff and the other pannier gets clothing so is packed on the day. If I plan on not cooking I just take the bag and a bag of clothes and footware
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Tent check was done about 2 weeks ago, I done my kitchen panier last weekend, clothing finished of today.
Found a decent place where the gopro will go with,I hope,a bit of protection from a falling GSA :unsure:
Unpacked various roll bags and paniers about 10 times cause I keep forgetting stuff or can't find it.
I am with you Andy, regarding the going now.
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

AndyB wrote:I've even been cunning enough to put all the tools I'm taking into a Kriega US10 so that can be strapped to the top of a pannier where it's easy to get at so there's nothing more to do really.
That's what I do, though the Kriega US10 normally then sits inside a pannier. But having tools, spare tubes, air pump, etc. all in one bag means when you dump the panniers and head off for some lightweight fun, the US10 can just be strapped onto the rear rack.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I don't bother taking too many clothes so they get packed into the top box inner bag and I just take it out on the ferry and stick my crash helmet and gloves in there before heading for my cabin.

My wife sorted me out a pair of Kriega pannier bags as a xmas present a couple of years ago and I can get a 4 seasons sleeping bag, a fleece liner and an Exped air bed into one of them so that's the sleeping side of things sorted and cooking stuff plus food goes into the other bag with any spare space used for beer :)

I've got a pair of Verns Worldbeater panniers so there's an area at the bottom where the inner bags won't fit but that gets used for jump leads, tow rope and spare inner tubes that I hope I don't need with any space left being used for more beer.

The room taken up by beers gets filled with cigarettes on the way home so nothing's wasted (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Lord Vader wrote:Tent check was done about 2 weeks ago, I done my kitchen panier last weekend, clothing finished of today.
Found a decent place where the gopro will go with,I hope,a bit of protection from a falling GSA :unsure:
Unpacked various roll bags and paniers about 10 times cause I keep forgetting stuff or can't find it.
I am with you Andy, regarding the going now.
If I'd got enough holidays left I'd be away earlier and just have a jolly around Europe before heading to Mainz to meet you guys but even though I've got bugger all on at work they won't tell me not to bother going in.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Inconsiderate bastwards
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Lord Vader wrote:Inconsiderate bastwards
I'll just have to sit there drinking beer and eating dinner every night on expenses thinking how crazy they are to put me up in a hotel 240 miles from home when I've got nothing to do and could be away on the bike and just stop every time someone phones to ask a stupid question :pinch:

The good news is that I've managed to pack my tiny little sledge into a pannier along with the bag containing my sleeping kit. It wouldn't be a winter rally without a sledge :)

Return to “TRAVEL”