Oradour-sur-glane.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
special one

Oradour-sur-glane.

Post by special one »

A mate posted this link on my fb page, as we're visiting this in June, I know a lot already know about this but there has been a recent arrest of one of the Germans involved, thought some of you may be interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25656746
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Tim Cullis

Re: Oradour-sur-glane.

Post by Tim Cullis »

One of those places you don't forget once you've visited.

If I remember correctly some of the members of the Das Reich Division were from Alsace and were considered French rather than German.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I visited there in 2012.
An absolute must see if travelling in that part of France, near Limoges.
Words are not enough.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Has anyone read The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer (not sure if that's spelt right)?

He was a French-speaking Alsatian who somehow got into the German army and ended up in the Gross Deutschland...an elite division of Panzer Grenadiers...but not because he was any good as a soldier...and fighting on the Eastern Front

The way he unthinkingly accepts the various atrocities etc that are going on is quite chilling...you find yourself thinking that millions went along with it all because well millions were going along with it all and speaking out would be of little or no use.

He regards the Hitler Youth and Waffen SS as heroes..telling things perhaps not as they were but as he saw them at the time.
special one

Post by special one »

I'm heading down from st malo on the northern west French coast down to a place in Spain by Zaragoza, doing two days on ktm dirt bikes around the area with trailbiketours.com, 8 of us going, we are taking in oradour-sur-glane on the way down as I've been wanting to visit for years.

After the dirt biking we are gonna ride around some the nice roads in that area then head to santander for the return ferry.
Current bikes...

MR X

Post by MR X »

if you wish to see the whole site museum and all that ,its not all open until Feb
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I visited in the 80s then again a few years ago when I took a few people on a MG Car Club trip to visit there everybody is overwhelmed by the place as you wander round & read various signs it brings tears to your eyes I'll hopefully visit again sometime.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Richard Simpson wrote:Has anyone read The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer (not sure if that's spelt right)?

He was a French-speaking Alsatian who somehow got into the German army and ended up in the Gross Deutschland...an elite division of Panzer Grenadiers...but not because he was any good as a soldier...and fighting on the Eastern Front

The way he unthinkingly accepts the various atrocities etc that are going on is quite chilling...you find yourself thinking that millions went along with it all because well millions were going along with it all and speaking out would be of little or no use.

He regards the Hitler Youth and Waffen SS as heroes..telling things perhaps not as they were but as he saw them at the time.
Yes! (I think) - Great read. If I remember correctly when he was on the Russian front and on the receiving end they were arguing amongst themselves who would kill who i.e. each other as they were so scared of being caught by the Russians. Stuffing bits of clothing threads into their teeth as they rotted...hard times!

Another good read is the "devils guard" German officer ends up in French legion fighting in Vietnam - very interesting.edit mmmm not sure i got that right as looked on line and there are many shown, may have got title wrong
second edit - nope its right. the one by George Robert Elford.
"An unrepentaent and unregenerate Nazi who escaped the war crimes trials and was allowed to fight in the French Foreign Legion. and does so with brutality."
i see there are three. didnt realise there were more.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

special one wrote:I'm heading down from st malo on the northern west French coast down to a place in Spain by Zaragoza, doing two days on ktm dirt bikes around the area with trailbiketours.com, 8 of us going, we are taking in oradour-sur-glane on the way down as I've been wanting to visit for years.

After the dirt biking we are gonna ride around some the nice roads in that area then head to santander for the return ferry.

Not too far away from your return route is the fabulous road from Rodez to St Flour then across to Massiac, Bort Les orgues and then Limoges..fantastic twisty tarmac, like a giant Cheddar gorge..probably better going the other way but still worth taking in...........
special one

Post by special one »

Gedge wrote:
special one wrote:I'm heading down from st malo on the northern west French coast down to a place in Spain by Zaragoza, doing two days on ktm dirt bikes around the area with trailbiketours.com, 8 of us going, we are taking in oradour-sur-glane on the way down as I've been wanting to visit for years.

Not too far away from your return route is the fabulous road from Rodez to St Flour then across to Massiac, Bort Les orgues and then Limoges..fantastic twisty tarmac, like a giant Cheddar gorge..probably better going the other way but still worth taking in...........
Cheers, I don't know any roads around there tbh so I'll look at that when I plan some routes (thumbs)
Current bikes...

Return to “TRAVEL”