Spain May 2014 info (bit of a cunning plan)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Selous

Spain May 2014 info (bit of a cunning plan)

Post by Selous »

Hi all due to limited annual leave and times to have it off im looking at last week in April & first in May (14 days)
Im thinking of Spain.
Will be 2up.

So thinking going from Pompe ferry over to bilbao.
We can either go up through france or bimble around that part of Spain.

I have never been on that ferry comments welcom on

Ferry that part of spain in may poss routes
Suggestions.

Btw camping

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Redmurty

Re: Spain May 2014 info (bit of a cunning plan)

Post by Redmurty »

contact Simon (spanishbiker)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I've a discount code for Brittany ferries if it helps
Not all those wandering are lost
Selous

Post by Selous »

pinball1008 wrote:I've a discount code for Brittany ferries if it helps
Is it them that do the ferry to there then cheers

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

You have PM
Not all those wandering are lost
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

get the ferry to santander not bilbao[4pm sunday]the bilbao one sometimes pulls into france to change crew,feccking hours added on.it will still be cold in northern spain when your going so b and b it or hostal,cheap.the n623 is a cracking road down to burgos.enjoy. j
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Picos du Europe not to be missed. Andy
skipper

Post by skipper »

That part of Spain is called Green Spain- no prizes for how it got that name. So make sure you are prepared for wet weather so early in the year.The ferry to Spain is expensive, takes a couple of days and is quite boring.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

You can go a long way in 14 days but it's probably not worth going all the way to the deep south - you'll be missing too much on the way!

I'd recommend you keep your options open and ride all the way along the north coast if the weather is OK when you arrive. But be sure to divert into the mountains along the way. Then head south into Portugal and from there back east into Spain, see below.

But it it's bad when you arrive head south along the Sistema Ibearica, i.e. Burgos, Longoño, Soria and the west towards Palencia, passing North of Madrid along the Sistema Central mountains south the Duero valley to Valladolid.

Then you can head up into Galicia via Portugal - the mountains run into Portugal: Sierra de Gredos, Peña de Francia (Spain), Serra Estrella (Portugal) and head north and follow the Cordillera cantabrica back to Santander from Galicia - the first route backwards in fact.

But of the long range forcast for the north is really bad - think Ireland with garlic :laugh: - the carry on down the Sistema Iberica as far as the Med. via Teruel more or less, then chill out somewhere like Peñiscola for a beach day or two, head back inland of the coastal mountains to the Pyrenees and along them back to Santander - the plus of doing the Pyrenees east to west is that if there's bad weather it's heading west-east so you only suffer for a half day if you're lucky :)

In all cases campings will be open but it will be cold.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Selous

Post by Selous »

The Spanish Biker wrote:You can go a long way in 14 days but it's probably not worth going all the way to the deep south - you'll be missing too much on the way!

I'd recommend you keep your options open and ride all the way along the north coast if the weather is OK when you arrive. But be sure to divert into the mountains along the way. Then head south into Portugal and from there back east into Spain, see below.

But it it's bad when you arrive head south along the Sistema Ibearica, i.e. Burgos, Longoño, Soria and the west towards Palencia, passing North of Madrid along the Sistema Central mountains south the Duero valley to Valladolid.

Then you can head up into Galicia via Portugal - the mountains run into Portugal: Sierra de Gredos, Peña de Francia (Spain), Serra Estrella (Portugal) and head north and follow the Cordillera cantabrica back to Santander from Galicia - the first route backwards in fact.

But of the long range forcast for the north is really bad - think Ireland with garlic :laugh: - the carry on down the Sistema Iberica as far as the Med. via Teruel more or less, then chill out somewhere like Peñiscola for a beach day or two, head back inland of the coastal mountains to the Pyrenees and along them back to Santander - the plus of doing the Pyrenees east to west is that if there's bad weather it's heading west-east so you only suffer for a half day if you're lucky :)

In all cases campings will be open but it will be cold.

Regs

Simon
Cheers, I was thinking of Portugal, over spain tbh, just looked at the £450.00 price tag for 2 ppl one bike! only cost me £200 by plane + hotel + full board to spain 2 months ago !!

Pinball 108 thanks will have a read tomorrow of to bed (been on nights)

Return to “TRAVEL”