Norways Arctic highway (E6) end of September. any advice?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
gebrauchtwagen83

Re: Norways Arctic highway (E6) end of September. any advice?

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

David from this forum went to nordkapp recently, he's on holiday at the moment but I'm sure he will contribute when he returns
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Dug out a couple of pics from the E6
08092011436.jpg
08092011436.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
08092011440.jpg
08092011440.jpg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Couple more
08092011438.jpg
08092011438.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
08092011444.jpg
08092011444.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Heff

Post by Heff »

Ahhhh

The memories of a great road trip :evil:
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Heff

Post by Heff »

Can't believe that was almost 2 years ago :evil:
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

http://nmcu.org/english

http://www.svmc.se/

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Try these mate, I have camped in Norway in October it was glorious during the day but cold enough at night to freeze our boots and water.
Have you thought of legging it up through Sweden and Finland to get north do the "Capp" and then have a steady ride back.
Travel channel are showing bike travel programmes at the moment the guy does Norway, Sweden and Finland

Have a great trip, don't speed and do not drink and drive

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Paul

Post by Paul »

minkyhead wrote:ive been three times paul i have ridden mostly in the fjord areas but have flown to kiknes which is pretty much the tip of norway ..to pick up a cruise ship

on a bike alasund is on route .. the adlantic highway is a expieriance but the coastal route is spectacular in its scale and ..err nothingness

ive ridden zig zag fron stavager to bergan and bergan for aloop of the fjords
followed the flam railway on a trail ...jostlebreen glacier gerringer fjord
balastrand the Trollstigen, road ..its spectacular riding .
.dont forget your in the land f the midnight sun in the summer ...it goes dusk for a couple of hours and then the suns up again ....

check the daylight availability in late sptember ..you have a plan and a want to do the circle ...fair play

i cant tell you how the going is after alusund but in fjord counrty the going is at best steady and spectacular ..ferries are needed and a lot of tunnels ...
if you approach a tunnel in daylight slow down to 15/20mph as the lights litterally go out ..thelocals say close one eye 20 seconds before the entrance
so the pupils ajust quicker ..they can also be wet and slippy no linings and water drips in palces ...think 60w bulb every 100 meteres and thats it

norway is spellbinding in the summer and i hope it works out well for you with the weather
pleanty of pictures ..enjoy

heres a couple of clips Trollstigen,highway and the road from ballestrand well worth alook on the way out or back in B)

Cheers Minky, that is a great video, getting excited now :woohoo:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Redmurty wrote:http://nmcu.org/english

http://www.svmc.se/

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Try these mate, I have camped in Norway in October it was glorious during the day but cold enough at night to freeze our boots and water.
Have you thought of legging it up through Sweden and Finland to get north do the "Capp" and then have a steady ride back.
Travel channel are showing bike travel programmes at the moment the guy does Norway, Sweden and Finland

Have a great trip, don't speed and do not drink and drive

cheers Spud ;)
Thanks for your'e input, I wasn't sure whether to blast up through Sweden as suggested or take my time up Norway and just use Sweden as a get back quick if needed.Unfortunately we don't get the travel channel any more now that we have moved to freeview to save our pennies :(
I do have some good kit at last courtesy of Halvarssons so should be ok with the weather.

Thanks for the info Spud. :)
bladesman

Post by bladesman »

Been twice on my Z1000,has to be the best biking destination in the World! Planning on returning next year via Denmark and the Ferry to Kristiansand,easy way to do it.I have a 4 pint hipflask to take next time,Booze is ridiculously expensive and you can't buy any in shops after 8pm.Friendly place but everything is way too dear,worth it though.Cheers,Bladesman.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Me and a friend did the Harwich - Esbjerg - Hirtshals - Kristiansand ferries a couple of years ago en route to Norway but I was talking to a guy recently about the north sea crossings and he told me that 'some' freight boats take a small amount passenger traffic from Newcastle into Stavanger - not sure which companies or what the rules are, has anyone heard of this as a route - what's the deal? Going through Denmark added two days riding for us which I'd have preferred to spend in Norway.
One place we visited was Lom - beautiful trip up into the mountains on route 15 might be snowy by Sept - there were kids doing skiing training in June! Look out for Egons restuarants they seem to be everywhere and they were doing all you can eat pizza and salad for about 10Kr, not fine cuisine but a good belly-full at the end of a long day :blush:

Return to “TRAVEL”