The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Foggy

camping around cherburg

Post by Foggy »

Hi all
As a group of us (4 on bikes,2 in a car) are on on our yearly
Escape from blighty
We decided to camp this year rather than ibis
My question do we need to book ahead. We are visiting the western end of Normandy beaches landing at cherburg for a weekend around there. Then us bikers are heading south , to st nazaire to check out the uboat pens.
Anyway mid may.
Many thanks Roy
Redmurty

Re: camping around cherburg

Post by Redmurty »

St Nazaire an interesting place. I have never booked any camp sites in France cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi foggy..best bet is do some searching on the web for tourist office info and campsite emails etc..most rural council run camp sites dont open till mid june then close end of August..some of the bogger commercial sites are open and have great discounts..so no need to book..just find out who's open etc...round calais try the local immigrant camp :laugh: ...seriously I dont camp near calais south about 1.5 hrs is okay around the bay de somme..near Abbbeville.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Cheers guys
Thought we would be ok .
We were going to try the "camp-municipal at st mare eglise but was told it was now closed so we're going to try the one north of there, or tbe commercial site @ utah beach Anyhow 3 weeks to go and counting
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I've used the Camping Municipale at Asnelles Sur Mer near Arromanches several times. It's a basic municipal site with a shop, cafe and bakery in the small village. Good central location for all the beaches.
Harty

Post by Harty »

Just came back from Normandy and St Nazaire last week. Found some good sites that didn't need booking if you want the info??
.....eat my dirt!
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yes please pm or whatever thank thank you
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Omaha Beach is a decent campsite. But there are dozens down the coast to Granville-St Per s Mer.

I've never booked and the only time I've struggled to get a pitch was with a caravan around the Berck/Etaples area further north. Had to go way inland but found a nice place regardless.
Harty

Post by Harty »

http://www.camping-laturballe.fr/ - About 6 Euros we were charged and about 18 miles from the sub pens. Big site and only we were on it, probably due to the weather! Anyway, we made ourselves at home ;)

Nice Italian restaurant on the corner, virtually opposite the pens

http://www.france-voyage.com/campsites/ ... y-7644.htm - Nice site, right near the river, very scenic. 8 Euros per night.

Just bear in mind that most campsites in France don't open until May!
.....eat my dirt!
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Thanks for that we will be out there 10 may onwards so here's hoping that they are open again many thanks

Return to “TRAVEL”