Santander to Algeciras en route to Morocco

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

I'm looking for a couple of stop-overs in Spain en route to Morocco in June. Already booked the firsst night near Valladolid. Second night in the region of Merida, third within striking distance of Algeciras to catch a morning ferry.
Any recommendations gratefully received.
Cheers Dave
Mike54

Re: Santander to Algeciras en route to Morocco

Post by Mike54 »

what sort of budget? camping or hotel-ing?
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

I stayed in a friendly hotel just North of Merida whilst traveling to Algeciras from Sanatander, it was 30 euros, clean and friendly..I'm trying to find the name of it for you.

found it - Hotel Sayago.. I've actually stayed there twice..

Not sure what time scale you have but i only had this one stop the first night then to Algerciras the next day. It was expensive to stay in Algeciras.

On the last trip with BrownDog and Peejay we stayed at hotel Medina Sidona before Algerciras a cracking place in a little cobbled street an hour or so from Algeciras..Cant remember the name of the town though..
Real men ride twins ;-)
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Wild camp, easy in Spain.
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
corbine

Post by corbine »

Hi Jack-Corbs-ive stayed at this one twice in past ten years- basic sleeping accom, can park bike inside locked courtyard at night-cheap- food is first class- can either go cheap or very nice restaurant menu and wine list- very bullfighting famous- think the owner is a famous bullfighter- the interior is all bullfighting pictures memorabilia etc.
http://www.a-monterrey.com/Hostal/restaurante.html
if you went further and made algeciras between valadolid in a day theres a great hotel outside algy (12 kms) -nearer to the punto europa viewing platform, bit pricier but views across to africa and really nice accom/food etc- was dearer at around 50 euros last time i stayed. :-)
the one outside algeciras jack is
http://www.mesondesancho.com/restaurante.aspx?lang=SP
fuel station next door and secure garage parking- my price included meals/drink i think :-) just up the road theres a great viewing platform across the gib straits next to the wind turbines.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

What we did (wrongly) on the way down was to camp.

Putting up a tent in the dark after 12 hours in the saddle of a DR350 is boring, and you have to ride off the main road to find a campsite. Then you have to pack it all up again in the morning.

On the way back we stopped at the hostels, which appear well-signposted by the side of the main road. They dry your clothes, let you hide the bikes behind the building, and provide cheap and comfortable twin bed rooms.

Downstairs there is a cafe/bar which is like a cross between a village pub and a truckstop.

Reasonable food, good coffee, beer. Lots of laughs trying to communicate with the locals and the Spanish truckers. All very friendly...the Spanish like motorbikes.

And breakfast the next day, without cooking it.

No poxy washing-up or packing a tent away so no wasted time getting going in the morning.

And you've had a genuine non-tourist experience as well as proper food and a good night's sleep.

These establishments are run by lovely grandfatherly/motherly types, who are genuinely pleased to welcome travellers.

We should knock down our horrible corporate MSAs and replace them with these excellent businesses.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Thanks Guys. Should have said that it'll be hotels. Mrs A don't do camping :laugh: Trying to keep the daily mileage down. Try to allow a bit of time to see a little of the places we'll pass through, so its a three stopper. Thirty euros seems cheap - could afford a little more. Like the sound of the 'trucker's hostels. Do they have a collective name?
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

http://www.hotelcervantes.com stayed here a few times,nice place.park outside free or pay 5 euros for underground garage.
gibraltars near algeciras.cannon hotel in gib. very basic but cheap.nice full english and near to the middle for pubs and eats.park just up the road free and safe.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I would go for the Hostels too (Hostal in spain). Try Hostelworld.com or look for signs from road. Start looking mid afternoon though. Good Places fill up quick. I can't remember the names of the other places I have stayed in. All good to ok and all just found by following signs and turning up.

Tarifa is a nice small town with just enough going on and about 30mins from Algeciras on a brill road. Buy ferry tickets there too for any of the routes, lots of agents on the main street. There's a couple of hostels in tarifa But I won't recommend the one I stayed in.

Hotel Recolotos in Salamanca is very good and cheap ( in 2007 and 2010 anyway).

Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

They are just called 'Hostels' if I recall: signposted with a big H and slap by the road.

They are quite close to one another, so if one's full just press on to the next. Make an effort to talk to the locals and they respond...even if you don't speak Spanish and they don't speak English a smile and hello are universal.

Like I said, basic but clean and welcoming, in my experience they were a nice footnote to a trip that was very Morocco focussed. I guess they fill a similar role to the chain hotels at the UK motorway services but they are smaller and much nicer.

Return to “TRAVEL”