HELP please, Anyone been and got the route? France, Switzerland, Germany, mountain passes

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
beany

Re: HELP please, Anyone been and got the route? France, Switzerland, Germany, mountain passes

Post by beany »

if you only live in stoke i,am only 10 mile away.got maps of
previous routes down and back to swiss with daily mileage you
can have a look at to give you some idea.also going to south of france
on the 27th july but dont want to crash your honeymoon though B)
wayne roome

Re: HELP please, Anyone been and got the route? France, Switzerland, Germany, mountain passes

Post by wayne roome »

Beany, that will be bloody brilliant. I am on Meir Park (Uttoxeter side of Smoke on Trent). If you want a brew then come on down or i could come round and borrow the maps for a couple of days.
Many thanks
beany wrote:if you only live in stoke i,am only 10 mile away.got maps of
previous routes down and back to swiss with daily mileage you
can have a look at to give you some idea.also going to south of france
on the 27th july but dont want to crash your honeymoon though B)
special one

Post by special one »

350 mile days in the alps and other mountain passes? Lol, I'd like to see that, 90-100 miles takes most of the day.

350 miles on passes means you'll have to average 35 miles an hour over 10 hours, not possible on some of the roads, 25 is difficult.

You'll regret setting yourself such big miles, you won't have time to enjoy the roads or the views IMO.

I've got a nice route from Annecy through the alps.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
beany

Post by beany »

hi wayne i live in leek,we will have to get together for a brew and look at the maps
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Hi Wayne, 350 miles a day is really pushing it on those routes, try and scale things down a bit to under 200 a day. I have some Garmin routes for Grossglokner, Stelvio and some other nice bits south west of the Stelvio.
Have you also considered the extra cost of Switzerland......everything is so expensive there.
PM me with your email if you want the routes.
Laura
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Think more in hours per day not miles, so you 6.5 hours per day would give close to 500 miles on the motorway, but there'd be no stops for fuel / knee stretching / toilet stops :blush: But as I don't know you or you bike abilities its your call if 500 miles is too much at 75mph.

Into the hills and as has already been said an average of 25mph at times can be good progress, but it again depends on what sort of roads, eg around Briancon there's a nice fast open "N" road = cruise at almost whatever you want to, head off towards the Glacier Blanc and it's probably only a 30mph average road. Plus, if it's a wiggly / scenic road you'll probably be wanting to stop to take loads of piccies, which again eats in the average speed you make.
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

John

Quite profecient as a RoSPA rider and IAM rider. Always had a motorcycle (or 2, maybe more at times) for the last 28years. If time is an issue then i can lengthen the days, lengthen the holiday or go on my VTR 1000 firestorm to make better progress. On the Firestorm we aim to stop every 120miles or so for a fuel and a scooby snack and back on the road within 15mins. But have done 180miles at any one time on several occasions. Done Assen via Calais in one lump too. Dont mind racking miles up on motorways or fast A roads to get to the pass's. I am been informed that collectively these pass's add up to only about 20miles or so, but obviously it is the dot to dot joining up. Dont planning on stopping much as going to buy a head/bike cam.
thanks
Oop North John wrote:Think more in hours per day not miles, so you 6.5 hours per day would give close to 500 miles on the motorway, but there'd be no stops for fuel / knee stretching / toilet stops :blush: But as I don't know you or you bike abilities its your call if 500 miles is too much at 75mph.

Into the hills and as has already been said an average of 25mph at times can be good progress, but it again depends on what sort of roads, eg around Briancon there's a nice fast open "N" road = cruise at almost whatever you want to, head off towards the Glacier Blanc and it's probably only a 30mph average road. Plus, if it's a wiggly / scenic road you'll probably be wanting to stop to take loads of piccies, which again eats in the average speed you make.
Redsoul

HELP please, Anyone been and got the route? France, Switzerland, Germany, mountain passes

Post by Redsoul »

Hi Wayne....I did a lot of the passes you mentioned last September 2 up over 10 days nd though I haven't got lots of bits of paper saying I can ride a bike I have actually been riding most of my life lol.
You should listen to what the guys on this thread are saying as the daily mileage you want to do though not impossible would be hard work.
Not sure on your thinking of riding the vtr1000 to get bigger mileage because myself after riding the passes last year on a varadero am going back in June but riding all the way to Montenegro and am going to do it 2 up on a dl650 because I know I will be quicker on a smaller less powerful bike.
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

Cramming that lot in to 5 days will be a struggle if not impossible. It certainly wouldn't be fun trying to achieve it.

Why not pick one of the passes furthest away that you really want to do and plot a direct route there. Gavia will take you 2 days hard riding. Then work your way back taking in as many passes as you can manage with the option to hop on a direct route back.

Better still, don't aim to go so far down on this trip and have more fun. If you want to do the locations you have mentioned give yourself 8-10 days. Even that isn't long enough really. There is so much to experience the only real way around the dilemma is to move to The Alps. Well that's how I got around it anyway ;)
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

Well its all here (thanks to another forum member) (except for the gpx route)

http://www.horizonmotorcycletours.co.uk ... pine-tour/

Not got my date i require so may have to delay a year until i can ride with them. Didnt want to do it in a large group but, eh ho, i dont like planning routes! :pinch:

Thanks for all your help

Return to “TRAVEL”