Battlefields Tour

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
keithblade

Battlefields Tour

Post by keithblade »

I am planning a ww1 and ww 2 tour next April.

I have travelled through Europ many times and pretty familiar with everything in that respect however I would welcome any recommendations on places to visit.

I will be doing a 7-day trip probably doing Hull to Zebrugge or Newcastle to Amersterdam, not decided which one yet.

I fancy doing 'Bridge too far, probably Berlin, Belguim and France, Normandy landings a must see.

Anyone recommend anything elso? Ideas, places of interest?

All comments welcome guys. ;)
bull

Re: Battlefields Tour

Post by bull »

Hitlers Eagles Nest Kehlsteinhaus, it is some kind of restaurant today, i have never been, but it is on the top of my list.
Alun

Post by Alun »

If you've seen Band of Brothers then a visit to the Belgian town of Bastogne is a must. If you've not then it's still worth a visit as it's where the Americans held the German counter attack in the Battle of the Bulge. You can still see the foxholes in the forest where the American 101 Airbourne holed up during the winter.
keithblade

Post by keithblade »

bull wrote:Hitlers Eagles Nest Kehlsteinhaus, it is some kind of restaurant today, i have never been, but it is on the top of my list.
Yes I have read about this, I think you go up to it in a lift.

Now there is a thought!!!!
mr injector

Post by mr injector »

the famous, Lochnagar mine crater the Somme WW1.
keithblade

Post by keithblade »

Alun wrote:If you've seen Band of Brothers then a visit to the Belgian town of Bastogne is a must. If you've not then it's still worth a visit as it's where the Americans held the German counter attack in the Battle of the Bulge. You can still see the foxholes in the forest where the American 101 Airbourne holed up during the winter.
One of my favourite WW2 dramas, I have the box set. The winter scene in the forest was truly horrific. Thank you and these will go on the list.
herman

Post by herman »

The Menin Gate at dusk for the last post is an experience in Yepres along with the many sites in the locale.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
lmg

Post by lmg »

As ex-Army I have a passion for military history. I have done numerous WW1 and WW2 battlefield tours both on my own, and with mates (some ex Army). The Bridge too Far tour is a good one we did in 2011 - I wrote it up here:

Bridge Too Far tour 2011

If you go to Bastogne, there is an old sherman tank in the town square which you can clamber over as most tourists do.

WW1 is my main interest and we did a great tour in 2010 - I wrote it up here:

WW1 Band of Biker Bros Tour 2010

Sere Road along the Somme front is a sight to see. If you get to high(ish) ground you can see along the front line as it winds through the countryside and the numerous memorial graves line the front.

A real eye opener is the Pals Battlaions memorial with each of the pals battalions memorial fixed to the trees. We also visited some of the poor souls who were "shot at dawn" including the only gravestone who mentions that the soldier was indeed shot at dawn.

Try arranging a stop at Avril Wimmiams guest house at the small hamlet of Auchonvillers on the Somme. A - its a crackingly good value guest house B - they have onsite food and beer and C in their backyard is the original Somme front line first aid station and trench system.

The Canadian memorial at Beaumont Hammel is also worth a visit, and climbing to the top (where the statue of the Elk overlooks the battlefield) you can see how close the German and Canadian trenches were to one another.

Along with Menin Gate and Theipval memorials you ought to consider visiting the German cemetary near Ypres. You will notice the difference between the quality of the upkeep of the German graves and the Allied ones. Anyways, inside the German cemetary at Annœullin is the grave of Captain Albert Ball - who was crashed whilst pursuing the Red Barons brother and received 2 Victoria Crosses. He was buried in the German cemetary by the Germans with full military honours as pilots were recognised as the braviest of the brave.

Moving on, try and vist the Canadian memorial for the battle of Vimy Ridge - its another one of those incredible memorials.

All in all, its hard to make a bad choice visiting either World War memorials. There are so many, and the locals/CGWC maintain the memorials to an exceptionally high standard.

As a side note, the riding roads between the memorials are great but if your like me, you will tend to spend the time travelling the roads thinking about the ultimate sacrifices made by these people.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

DG

Post by DG »

I did a tour of Normandy in 08. Awesome trip, I was never into the WW2 when I was at school, but during convalescence after a knee op I watched loads of WW2 programmes on the history channel and felt I had to go pay my respects. All the cemeteries are worth visiting, even the German one in La Cambe 22000 graves there it's certainly moving. The gun turrets and some guns are still standing at one site (Merville) and there's a manikin hanging from a church roof in St Mere Iglese in honour of one of the troops shots down.

I did a ride report have a look here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... iva+france for some ideas and feel free to get in touch if you need any info.

Cheers
Running Yorkshire Marathon (AGAIN!) for the National Brain Appeal Please visit my page. Thank you. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gavin-pickup1
lmg

Post by lmg »

bull wrote:Hitlers Eagles Nest Kehlsteinhaus, it is some kind of restaurant today, i have never been, but it is on the top of my list.
Thats a great visit and down the near the Alps. Me and my lady visited that late last summer. Wrote about it here Austrian Alps 2011 the relevant part is about half way down the page (with pictures). When you arrive at the Eagles Nest area, your arriving at the bottom of a mountain. You park up and catch the bus to almost-the-top. You walk down a long long tunnel and enter a brass and glass mirrored lift to go up to the Eagles Nest itself. It is incredibly disappointing that they have turned it in to a cafe -anyways- outside of the "cafe" you can walk up to a Eidelweiss monument and you get a great view...

Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Return to “TRAVEL”