North Cape Norway

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Old Git Ray

Re: North Cape Norway

Post by Old Git Ray »

I did that route last September, albeit in my Landrover.

See my blog from post 62 onwards. Old Git Rays Blog (Error now corrected - sorry)

You will see that Tallin is unbelieveable.

One small niggle was that the road tolls were unfathomable. Despite my efforts I could not figure out how to pay the ANPR auto tolls so I ignored them. A month after I came back I had 2 bills from a firm in the South of England for about £15 in total (for 7 missed tolls) which I just paid over the net. Actually, it was funny in the end.

We wild camped about half of the time and as other have said it was easy (and legal) provided you are not near a dwelling or a road. It is written into the Norwegian constitution (really). We took a lap-top and using cafe WiFi and Google Earth just sought out some water with a track leading to it.

I do have to agree with others above, it is a lot to take on in your time frame.
Anyway, I wish you well.
Verissimo

Post by Verissimo »

Hi, were off to sweden are this year. We have been advised of a freight crossing Immingham to Gothemberg that takes a few passengers, I've been quoted about £900 return including canteen and cabin. Looks like we will be taking this option as we get more time in sweden.
Good luck
Jan
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

It is a great way to get to Norway or Sweden but you risk being 'bumped' to make way for freight (as happened to me in June). The boat leaves in the early hours of Sunday but you have to ring up on the Friday afternoon to confirm whether in fact you have a reservation or not. I got 'bumped' so took the Harwich-Esbjerg ferry which is fine albeit more expensive.
Verissimo

Post by Verissimo »

Thanks for the word of warning, we don't intend to book till lat minute so fingers crossed :)
david

Post by david »

Been at 2012 all day proving that you can't get the food in from Belguim in time. 2 contractors pulled out today and my quote was rejected :evil: Holiday it is! :dry:
560 miles Calais to Rostock and ferry option to Sweeden then ferry to Finland or start the 1500 Miles to Kirkenes, 2000 miles then around the edge via Artic Highway, RV17, Point Rock to Hirts and ferry to Denmark. 750 miles back to Calais its do able :huh: .

Need to tune it a little and decide my route.
1ceman

Post by 1ceman »

I'm doing kind of the same trip departing on 31st July!
Although I'm single and soon to be unemployed so I'm taking a lot longer.
And have bought a gps because I'm not even sure how to get out of London. :blush:
This trip will be my first on my own so I'm keen for a real adventure.
Good luck and hopefully we might cross paths
jackass dave

Post by jackass dave »

nothing like going in at the deep end
david

Post by david »

Good luck with it, I will pm my number. Plan is leave 12th Aug rtn 24 Aug. In France at present with my2 B) rtn 9th Aug, Bike all ready to go.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Take time out to ride the strongest tidal whirlpool current in the world. It is near Bodo which is the disembarkation port for those who have been to the Lofoten Islands, which are a 'must do' IMHO:
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

good luck dave with your fantastic adventure to norway leaving sunday. very envious indeed but know your going to simply have a great experience.

Return to “TRAVEL”