Advice needed for China

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Kenbo

Advice needed for China

Post by Kenbo »

Just toying with the idea of future trip ......any one got experiance of traveling in China?
Dysan

Re: Advice needed for China

Post by Dysan »

Unless things have changed recently I believe you must have a guide, and I think you have to register the bike in china too. When I last looked at it, it looked like more trouble than it was worth.

Don't want to put you off trying though.
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Admittedly it turns out I paid over the odds, but for my week long crossing of the west corner (from Northern Pakistan, to Kashgar, to Kyrgyzstan) it cost me $2100, which was for guides, accommodation and paperwork. Apparently people have found agencies much cheaper, but I used StanTours simply because it was well recommended.

It was an experience. Both good and bad. And wouldn't do it again by choice, simply because riding with a guide is a pain in the ass.

But, if there's a group of you, and you can split the cost, or you can meet up with other people doing the same route, then it would be interesting, and China itself seemingly an untapped resource of photos/new stories etc.

Only you can decide if it's worth the price. But with Iran playing hard ball with visas still (though some Brits do seem to be getting them) there aren't too many other options, other than shipping the bike. Which kinda defeats the object.

As an aside, while I was there I met a couple of Brits who'd bought bikes in Beijing and had ridden across unaccompanied, though they'd been studying there for a year or so, so it made life easier buying a bike and registering it, which I hear is the problem. Either way, they had a cool trip.

Others talk about smuggling bikes in to China. I don't know if it's possible but some reckon it to be possible. Personally, I'm not convinced, but hey, where there's a will there's a way.
diver1

Post by diver1 »

Take a Fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!

Regards,
John
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

diver1 wrote:Take a Fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!
Part of my travel kit is my own cutlery set, a roll of Andrex loo paper, and a packet of Imodium. :pinch:

Return to “TRAVEL”