What has happened to the brotherhood?

Bikers and riding
mark1150

What has happened to the brotherhood?

Post by mark1150 »

As per header, what has happened to it? I was out for a couple of hours with Number one son this afternoon, and the amount of bikes 'of which there were many' that nodded or waved were in huge decline compared to last year the year before etc.
What is it with these people?, I know it can't be because I'm on a GS, as number one son was following on the Duke, and he had the same reception.
Not only did the lack of friendly acknowlegement get my goat, but at Sandringham, there were two motorcycle accidents, on opposite sides of the road which had happened, and cleared off the road well before we arrived, to which I pulled over for the chap sitting alone with his now bent Transalp ( the other guy on the other side was on a Blade ), and asked if there was anything that I could do for them, and to my astonishment not one bike had stopped to enquire as to their well being.
What is wrong is it that we are now so busy that we haven't got any time for our fellow bikers, and if so what chance has anyone else got outside of our fraternity.
Rant over and all the better for getting it off of my chest.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
appleby

Re: What has happened to the brotherhood?

Post by appleby »

Sad but true Mark! I put it down to a lot of "bikers" who passed their test a couple of years ago, and will move on to their next fad shortly! They are not the dyed in the wool old school you used to get:(

I remember breaking down on my old 400 Wet Dream years ago - and 4 bikes stopped to offer their services.

Nothing is what it used to be - accept it!

ps. I actually know a "biker" who gets his chain adjusted at the main dealer????
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

I gave up waving to other riders a long time ago, fed up with the lack of response. I do stop if I see a bike by the side of the road but if it is a breakdown they always have a mobile and breakdown cover and are sometime bewildered by my having stopped.
Times change.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just last week I was having the same rant to my other half. I skived off work because the sun was threatening to make an appearance, we togged up and headed off toward the Yorkshire Dales.
It seemed that a lot of riders had the same idea, I always acknowledge other riders, force of habit I guess, but I bet less than half nodded back. Some of it I put down to them travelling at warp speed behind black visors and others I convinced myself just got a stiff neck from nodding every half a mile.
We will continue to acknowledge other riders so if your up North and a Silver Varadero with spot lights is coming toward you, expect a nod and a wave from the missus.
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

appleby wrote: I actually know a "biker" who gets his chain adjusted at the main dealer????
Please excuse my ignorance....is adjusting the chain on your bike something you should be able to do yourself?
bandit1250gt

Post by bandit1250gt »

In my humble opinion it's like having a car and not being able to change a wheel!

You are excused though if you are a new rider - not for long though!
MidnightSerenity

bandit1250gt wrote:In my humble opinion it's like having a car and not being able to change a wheel!

You are excused though if you are a new rider - not for long though!
My dad showed me how to change a wheel many years ago...think if I really needed to, I could do it...and yes, I'm learning lots about bikes....so much to get your head around!! :)
MidnightSerenity

mark1150 wrote: What is wrong is that we are now so busy that we haven't got any time for our fellow bikers, and if so what chance has anyone else got outside of our fraternity.
It's a shame that some bikers don't make an effort to nod back etc....I know that my partner always makes a point of nodding and acknowleding others on the road (because I ride mostly pillion, it's difficult for me to nod in time, so I wave instead). We should all extend that small gesture that speaks volumes.
bandit1250gt

Post by bandit1250gt »

The main thing to learn is how to encourage others onto two wheels and just keep grinning and enjoying it
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Lady's don't need to learn any maintenance as a flutter of the eye lashes will get the job done free.
I tried this at my local dealer and they barred me for life, the sexist pigs.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”