The mighty GS humbled.

Bikers and riding
Jim Lovell

Re: The mighty GS humbled.

Post by Jim Lovell »

Its not what you ride its how you ride it, therefor i wave/nod etc to everyone, i think with young lads/lasses on scooters etc it gives them a sense of being and if it encourages them to do the test its surely good for the whole industry that they should be encouraged.

I have found it seems to be chop and rat riders that dont give the nod perhaps they cant see out of those oh so cool shades.B)
Real men ride twins ;-)
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Jim, I must admit that the frustrated sports bike racer type who have no regard for decency. Let alone veterans like me and you. With their wheelying and other unsafe stunts on the road. Do portray us in a very unfavourable light. The sad thing is they also are the biggest percentage overall when it comes to fatalities. :(
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Mark1961 wrote:
CRAIGREVO wrote:I don't nod at young moped riders as I feel they are not bikers, they are just kids filling a gap until they get a car.
If you think about it, going back many years ago. When you were a young snotty nose kid on your FS1E or the Honda equivalent (old age, memories gone) was it the CB50? Is this not the equivalent of today’s chave on a scooter? We all had to start somewhere?

When other motorcyclists first started waving at me, I had to ask questions as to why. I was told by an experienced motorcyclist that it was the motorcyclist etiquette, you never pass a fellow motorcyclist without paying him respect. You may not know him but he’s your best mate. He will never pass you by if you break down at the side of the road.

We are a breed unto ourselves. I have only ever known this type of camaraderie when I was in the Army where you die for your mates, pure and simple. In the motorcyclist world you never pass a stranded motorcyclist without helping them.

Just like john did in his post above. That is the spirit of a true motorcyclist. From what you said the other motorcyclist will now become one of the chosen few, who will hopefully spread the word.

I have a dream that one day everybody will be a motorcyclist. Where the spirit of goodwill and respect for our fellow human beings will bring nothing but peace and harmony to this planet. We will then live happily ever after. I know a tall order......

So give the young ones a break they may well be the motorcyclist of tomorrow and it’s our responsibility to educate them and bring them into the fold.
When I said moped, what I meant is scooter. If a young rider has chosen to ride a geared bike then I will nod at them, I also nod at vespers and alike. But some moped/scooter riders are just filling a gap, and you can generally tell who they are. However if they were to nod at me I would always nod back.
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

I always nod or wave when not fiddling with indicators or such.

I was riding home today, the last 30 miles alone and stopped by the road for a quick break. Two bikes passed by and waved, the second also giving a thumbs up to ask if I needed help. He slowed just in case until I returned a thumb to say I was OK.
It really did feel good that a total stranger was prepared to stop and help or just say hello during a sunny Sunday ride.

Keep looking out for each other.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Coops1200

Post by Coops1200 »

I beleve all bikers should acknowledge all other bikers and more so new bikers on l plates as my son had the same problem until he passed his test . The way we acknowledge other bikers makes us different from tin top car drivers
And all should be treated the same and encouraged . I usualy get ignored by sports bike riders as I ride a GSA
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

I always give a nod or a wave to other motorcyclists but have been guilty of missing out scooters and mopeds. I do have a bit of a paranoia problem though... if I give a wave or a nod and it is ignored by the oncoming rider I find myself thinking "miserable bastard" then I start wondering what's the matter with me then... If it happens twice in a row then I get really paranoid. Anyone else have these conversations in their helmets or am I just nuts ?
Alun

Post by Alun »

On a run out today I decided to wave vigorously at every biker I passed including chavs on scooters. The response was broadly along these lines.

Sportsbikes/nakeds - about 75% nodded back, none waved and it was obvious most thought I was on day release

Adventure/Tourers - About 50% nod, 45% wave and 5% stuck up snooty shi*es

Harleys - most were too busy looking at themselves in shop windows to notice any other traffic on the road but, I guess, a reasonable 40% return on waves.

Chavs on scoots - about 30% waved probably on the off chance that I was their social worker

Best result - an old guy on a Goldwing who waved, saluted and flashed a big, big smile. Maybe he was my social worker.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Nice one Alun! I'm going to wave like a nutta next time I'm out.:S lol
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

strimstrum wrote:I always give a nod or a wave to other motorcyclists but have been guilty of missing out scooters and mopeds. I do have a bit of a paranoia problem though... if I give a wave or a nod and it is ignored by the oncoming rider I find myself thinking "miserable bastard" then I start wondering what's the matter with me then... If it happens twice in a row then I get really paranoid. Anyone else have these conversations in their helmets or am I just nuts ?
No Strimstrum, well yes, um no, well kind of, nuts talk to myself of course yes, sometimes maybe.:blush:
Real men ride twins ;-)
scouse

Post by scouse »

The worst I have ever had for "waving" is one day heading to the ferry to Roscoff a couple of days after the big Beemer do in Garmisch.

A ferry had just unloaded and as we neared the terminal hordes of GS's of all sizes and ages appeared riding towards us ... so there is me on the 1100 and Jules on the F650 constantly pulling the left hand out from the handguards and doing the left hand 'tler salute for about 10 mins...there must have been a boat load of them! :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”