How much do you pack?

Bikers and riding
Ansell

How much do you pack?

Post by Ansell »

Ive been fighting a battle with myself whether to loose my 35lts ali panniers and go to soft panniers. I want the bike lighter and less ass wide. Someone wise once told me I dont need such big boxes as it just means I feel more inclined to take more crap with me. And this is so true. I cant help it after I packed the bike and there is still a spot of space I will feel the need to pack something extra. The wife would say take another jumper or two or pack another set of trousers!

So that got me thinking, what does everybody else pack for a week or 2 week bike trip!
KTM Adventure 2008
El Dudeness

Re: How much do you pack?

Post by El Dudeness »

We have a saying in Denmark: Never ever (ever!) let yourself lose the game because of the equipment.

Well that's probably a sucky translation but the essence is that you can never have too much gear with you. Mind you, relevant gear.

Check out this clip with Rick Peterson:

Rick Peterson kit layout

Ok you would think that all he needs is the kitchen sink but if you watch the vid to the end you'll see he also has a solution for that.
Some might say that he's a gadget freak but being a well known photographer he might be dependant on this for a matter of potential income. Also, many of these guys write blogs and other magazine articles and thereby make a living doing so on the road.
Still, I wouldn't choose to have 5 sets of gloves and different kinds of multiple sets of gear. Yes, 2 or 3 pairs of certain items are a must but 5?
Check it out anyways, be inspired and take from it what you like.

Another matter about the plastic panniers is that they don't provide the same saftey as aluminium do in case of a crash and you being on your side / under the bike. Please do take this into consideration.
Life is not the number of breaths we take

It's the number of moments that take our breath away....
patta

Post by patta »

I pack pretty much the same stuff every time I go away, weather it’s for a long weekend or three week trip (which is the longest time away by bike so far)
I have been having the same thoughts as you when it come to large ali boxes, thinking of selling off my boxes and racks from both of my solos
davsato

Post by davsato »

who says you need both panniers? before you spend any cash, remove one and see how you get on.
no, it doesnt unbalance the bike,
and no, it doesnt look too bad. try it
Dave
NKL990

Post by NKL990 »

I always leave space in my luggage somewhere so I can pick stuff up on route (food and drink)
Ansell

Post by Ansell »

Rick Peterson is way over the top, maybe if i was going round the world yes, but im not lol

Im thinking lighter guys not looking to put more weight on the bike
KTM Adventure 2008
davsato

Post by davsato »

Ansell wrote:Rick Peterson is way over the top, maybe if i was going round the world yes, but im not lol
+1 rick has his system and as an example of how to pack its genius, but he carries more weight in 'cubes' and 'cases' and 'packing systems' than all the stuff i take! he takes three of everything, what hell for i dont know, three towels? yesterdays teeshirt is todays towel, mate
Dave
El Dudeness

Post by El Dudeness »

davsato wrote: no, it doesnt unbalance the bike,
and no, it doesnt look too bad. try it
Please explain to me the physics in this scenario? How can uncentered, uneven weight on a bike not make it unbalanced?

Appearance will in this case also be a subjective matter but I wouldn't be caught dead riding with a pannier only on one side. Sorry.
Life is not the number of breaths we take

It's the number of moments that take our breath away....
suzivstrom650

Post by suzivstrom650 »

The physics is easy! Its about leverage,the panniers are not really far enough from the centre of the bike to exert any appreciable force.Try it and see.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have been trying to keep the size of kit to minimum. Panniers even soft ones make the bike to wide and I hate sitting in traffic. So I have gone with a Giant Loop bag on the back seat and a rear rack with a bag. It seems to work OK but I only have a small tent and sleeping bag in the following picture. However I can do off road with this set up which is the ultimate objective for me.
P1010747.jpg
P1010747.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
I went out on this xmas eve camping and added a larger tent (kyam biker) as its a luxury to have space inside for bike gear especially when its all wet. I also added a winter sleeping bag and some extra wet weather gear. On this picture I am also carrying a small bbq....but it was to wet to use it.
P1020650_2011-12-27.jpg
P1020650_2011-12-27.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
After you have packed - repack and get rid of 25% of your clothes and thats probably about right. Then you can also get a bit of food on board when you are on the move.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”