A free place to stay the night.....

Bikers and riding
suffolkgsrider

Re: A free place to stay the night.....

Post by suffolkgsrider »

Treadtrader wrote:We've dabbled before at this.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... ion-2.html

The problem is how to organise passing info around, I have given it some thought.

Lets have some suggestions guys. Wading through hundreds of posts would be a bit daunting. :whistle:

The map idea sounds good but how to contact when on the road without Internet and only a mobile?

Idea! I have found 3 local pubs that welcome bke campers for £5 per night in the hope they may drink and eat at the pub. As if :huh: Maybe we could add £5 sites as you will get toilets but maybe no showers. So wildish camping :blink:
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

Not exactly just for bikers, but this site could be helpful too:

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

A couple of friends use it and recommend it highly.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Years ago I had a 2CV, and the national club published a yearly directory, with people willing to offer anything from a coffee to a fully stocked workshop, bed and jacuzzi. I met a while bunch of people through it, and had a fair few campers. Sadly I now live in a tiny flat in London, but I'd happily offer moral support and a lift to the nearest bike mechanic.

As for how to get hold of people when on the road, short of a list you subscribe to and can print out, maybe a few people would be willing to be area reps and publish a contact number. That way you'd just carry a few numbers with you, and could ring up the nearest and they'd guide you in to the closest member to you...
Happiness has 125cc ...
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Been on the XRV SAFEHOUSE for over 3 years now and had over a dozen guys stop !!! Being in SW France we're ideally situated for stop overs , just had Ted (versy) of here stay for the night on his way to Perpignan.
One guy Simon (Hudders) of XRV ended up staying for 3 or 4 nights.....so i got him working with me, he never thought he'd be building a well on a biking tour:woohoo:
All we ask is BRING TEABAGS !!!!! if you've got room B)

I've stated on XRV .....Bed if we have one
Sofa if not
Big garden , loads of room for tents
Pool
Garage with tools
Break down within 50kms

I know nothing about setting up computer sites but how about putting an ICON stating you're up for it in the name panel

BRING TEA BAGS !!!!!!!! and not shite !!!!! Tetley / PG

Phil
LAMOTHE FENELON 46350 France
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

It looks a bit like two different ideas are forming here; people offering a tent pitch/couch/bed/beer which can be organised in advance; and people offering tools/advice/shoulders to cry on in an emergency.

The first could be really easily organised, either with an embedded Google map, open for all to add their rough location, or if it's available an integrated Member Map, which would enable people to click through to forum profiles and send Private Messages.

The second emergency contacts list needs to be accessible offline. I'd suggest having it collated by a moderator, and maybe only available to those willing to put their own details on it. It'd need to have more detailed contact details on, telephone numbers etc, so to have it floating willy-nilly round the net, open to everyone might not be a good idea. I guess it could either be e-mailed out, or put in a section of the forum only available to members included on the list.

I've be happy to collate a list, and as I get huge numbers of free calls could even ring anyone up who wanted to be on it, just to check they're not a bot. If I could work out how to successfully ebbed a Google map in a post I'd set that up too, sadly I don't seem to be able to.

Does any of that make any sense?
Happiness has 125cc ...
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

The problem is how to organise passing info around, I have given it some thought.

Lets have some suggestions guys. Wading through hundreds of posts would be a bit daunting. :whistle:

The map idea sounds good but how to contact when on the road without Internet and only a mobile?
We need a section closed to the public that only verified members can visit...A post count of 50 or so. if someone is in need they'll have to be able to access ABR or someone on the end of the telephone with access to the site. see who's closest on the map and try to get in contact. I'll leave a telephone number & address anywhere I know spammers and scammers cant get to it
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Scythian

Post by Scythian »

A great idea - perhaps for privacy purposes people can place their 'X' at the main road junction closest to their home, and then its up to the riders to PM the person concerned for full details? I would also recommend getting a rating system set up so people know how much notice the site owner would need incase he or she is away, working long hours etc, or a clickable link on each 'X' with:

Crash space offered: Garden/Sofa etc
Tools available?: Yes/No
Pets: None/Friendly dogs
Notice time needed: None/1 day etc

etc etc

I can offer my garden which is extremely private, has space for two pup or one 3 man tent plus bikes if you wish to keep them out of sight from prying eyes overnight at just 5mins from the M1 in Leicestershire. Sadly no tool kit atm as my ex nicked those off me when I moved, the swine.
'The most dangerous part of a motorcycle is the nut connecting the handlebar to the seat.'
hornet

Post by hornet »

snaphappy wrote:

We need a section closed to the public that only verified members can visit...A post count of 50 or so. if someone is in need they'll have to be able to access ABR or someone on the end of the telephone with access to the site. see who's closest on the map and try to get in contact. I'll leave a telephone number & address anywhere I know spammers and scammers cant get to it
yup Ive always noted how many guests are on here lurking perhaps the forum could benifit from a little privacy when posting email addresses and phone numbers

Im happy to offer help tools a sofa to crash on

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Cumbrian, bugger it's broken, shoulder to cry on, available here. Cups of tea, local advice.

"Private" area of the forum sounds good enough for me with X #no posts minimum.

cheers
Mul
dogman

Post by dogman »

No problem helping anyone out. I am 30 miles north of Dublin, www.bellewstownkennels.com , open 365,, always someone on site. Leave your excess gear if you want to ride into Dublin city for the day (guinness vistor center)maybe leave the bike and stumble back on the bus. Maybe the mods could do a forum members only sticky on this subject.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”