A free place to stay the night.....

Bikers and riding
beddowsm

Re: A free place to stay the night.....

Post by beddowsm »

Im located 5 mins from J11 M56 near Runcorn. Can offer tent space in garden, shower, beer etc etc....for anyone passing through. Have tools but no idea how to use them!
stevee_p

Post by stevee_p »

Its a great idea i think, I'll certainly be adding my name to this topic in the future (once I inform the wife that smelly bikers will be popping in randomly...)
Stevee_P
adimurp

Post by adimurp »

yeah i'm game, in leith north edinburgh, fit a few tents in, sure the missus will do (as she's told) breakfast...
no cuff too tough....
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

Norm De Plume wrote:It's funny this is being discussed now, it's something that we discussed over the weekend at the EAB camping. The XRV forum run a scheme that is co-ordinated using Google Maps - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 35582630f0

People mark their locations with a marker which says what they offer, e.g. bed/camping/tools/beer etc. Once you know who you want to contact, it looks like you have to PM them on the forum, so your contact details aren't available to all.
That map looks like the perfect way of showing the information. Easier to find somewhere than on a list. As long as no-one shows exactly where they are there is no security issue. You can put a nearby landmark, road junction and can meet or guide people in from there depending on how well you know that forum member.
Remember it is a public forum so anyone can read whatever information you post.
No! You can't have my credit card number! :P

How do we create a public map to use?
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Smokey Dan

Post by Smokey Dan »

Jimbike wrote:How do we create a public map to use?
I've just sent a message to East Coast Adventurers on XRV as he did the one on the XRV site, hopefully he'll be along to share his wisdom :)
Phil

Post by Phil »

This is a really good idea, I'm afraid i cant offer any help though as my house is the size of a shoe box and my graden is full of blocks,sand,wood,cement mixer,rumble,...and so on. (not really a garden, more a building site.)
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

Garden can accomodate a small tent

or I have a spare bed for those in need in the bristol area

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Phil wrote:This is a really good idea, I'm afraid i cant offer any help though as my house is the size of a shoe box and my graden is full of blocks,sand,wood,cement mixer,rumble,...and so on. (not really a garden, more a building site.)
I think that was the idea behind the US version I mentioned earlier. Some people are quite happy for you to pitch up at their country pile and they'll get the butler to rebuild the engine for you overnight. Others, like yourself, can't do that but may be happy to lend phone support - you probably know in your area where the 24hr fuel stations are, cheap hotels/ pubs /B&Bs, stuff like that. Even if you can't help directly that's a valuable resource to someone stranded in the area. I'd certainly be happy to do what I can on the phone. Whether I could go further than that would depend on family circumstances at the time of the call.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

Smokey Dan wrote:
Jimbike wrote:How do we create a public map to use?
I've just sent a message to East Coast Adventurers on XRV as he did the one on the XRV site, hopefully he'll be along to share his wisdom :)
I've created maps open to the public but the trouble is I think I still own it, not the site. How could that work moderators?
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
herman

Post by herman »

Well we are in a prime location for the southern ferry ports and have secure bike parking/working space/tools/kettle/etc. Camping whilst possible would be cosy. I can recover folks with a van if need be too. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”