Another scam

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Another scam

Post by Dark Knight »

Got a text pretending to be from EE giving me a phone number and hyperlink so that I could update my billing details.
Quite convincing, but being an old guy, I use pay as you go.
Looks like the EE server has been hacked, as I rarely give out my mobile number and usually use the land line number.
Spike941

Re: Another scam

Post by Spike941 »

Had an email last week from BT asking for my payment details as my DD hadn’t gone through. Wasn’t falling for that old chestnut. All looked very convincing though.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Even with the possibly legit ones, I always go through the website. Always getting paypal, ebay and google but I’m probably being over cautious.

Apparently codes 033**** or similar are likely to be dodgy.
They also use random non existent uk numbers for your caller display. If there is a gap before an answer, generally dodgy, proved by a furriner with lousy english reading from a sheet.
I detest them, tell them to shove off and hang up. If it was real, they would call back. My wife likes stringing them along for ages.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

DavidS wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm Even with the possibly legit ones, I always go through the website. Always getting paypal, ebay and google but I’m probably being over cautious.

They also use random non existent uk numbers for your caller display. If there is a gap before an answer, generally dodgy, proved by a furriner with lousy english reading from a sheet.
I detest them, tell them to shove off and hang up. If it was real, they would call back. My wife likes stringing them along for ages.
Generally no just tell them where to go but I do occasionally like to string them along.

But think this guy takes it to whole new level
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I had one allegedly from BT but it had 50+ email addresses in the CC box no-way BT would do that BT have an email address you can forward scams to for them to investigate I usually do that then bin em :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I've had the same. I'm not with EE.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I have a scam call most mornings telling me my Amazon Prime subscription is being renewed yes press 1 no press 2.
Doing a 1471 shows they are from a different number every time and I don't have Amazon Prime anyway.
That is probably the point so you have to give them banking info to have it 'removed'.

Had a Mastercard transaction warning today same time as Amazon calls different voice & number but same style, & I do not have Mastercard!
I appear to be on 'The List'
paulcobb72

Post by paulcobb72 »

DavidS wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm Even with the possibly legit ones, I always go through the website. Always getting paypal, ebay and google but I’m probably being over cautious.

This is so alerting, at least it will save a victim prospect to scammers. Thanks for your contribution.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

email scams can be very convincing
lately I have received emails from apparently `friends` and even `family` .. which shows that the mysterious `they` are logging facebook conversations? and texts? .. quite unnerving

Apparently, even Black Friday is a scam .. mostly ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/persona ... spartanntp
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

Other than changing telephone number
Anyone any advise please, it appears my elderly Mum is on some kind of list for scammers to contact.
She's had people wanting her to turn her computer on, Amazon to say her Prime account needs updating. BT telling her the DD hasn't gone thro.
She's eligible for hugely discounted painting by some famous painter.
Up to now I've managed to fend them off, fortunately she letting me know when she asks me 'what shall I do'. But I envisage the day one of them panics her enough to do something or pay up.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”