What is an adventure ?

Bikers and riding
ErikGustav2

What is an adventure ?

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Is adventure the same thing as driving Enduro ?
Hard off road driving. Where all effort is on driving ?
Drive as hard as possible.
As long as possible.
And always be looking at the road for holes or stones.
Not have time to see the wonderful landscape.
And at the end say: "Yes I did it. I drove that road"

Or is adventure to expose yourself to foreign countries?
The climate, whether, culture, food.
Meeting people. And experience things.
Travel slowly and adopt to the new cultures.
Run your bike where very few tourist go.
And discover new things.
Have the possibility to enjoy the wonderful views, even when you drive on a tarmac road with nice bends.
And in the end say: "Now it is over. What a wonderful trip"

I have my opinion. And everyone can and will have their own.

But driving from Sweden down to and around in France long time ago (With no mobiles, no internet, no credit cards) on a Moto Guzzi 850 T, was for me a large adventure.

And my big hero, Ted Simon, was driving a Triumph twin around the world. Real adventure without adventure bike.
(On the other hand. Long way round/down is no adventure. Just o large commercial show)
=

It is the same for person the use bicycles.
Some measure the trip in how many km they have done...
Other talk about what they have seen, experienced and about the people they have met.
=

So I hope that the term "Adventure" can be used for more than one thing
Dark Knight

Re: What is an adventure ?

Post by Dark Knight »

Its all about the journey and the people you meet.
It does not have to be some off shore country, it can be anywhere, but you have to take your time, so you can interact with the people you meet on the way.
I do not think that Nick Sanders will agree with this.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

If you are a crap rider like me, any local trail ride can be an adventure.
Definitely anything that takes you beyond your comfort zone are into new places and people, whether it’s local, the other side of the world or anywhere in between.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

An adventure is whatever YOU perceive it to be.

For some it has to include off road riding, others might enjoy a lack of planning and just seeing what turns up on the accommodation front ( from personal experience it can be an adventure too far ie food poisoning!). Some find riding across the Sahara on a Harley is an adventure - whatever floats your boat.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

An exciting and/or unusual activity which involves an element of risk/danger, putting one outside one's comfort zone. That's the standard definition, so, as said, one person's concept of adventure is another's mundane chore.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

An adventure is an emotion and is not something that comes neatly packaged from your favourite manufacturer or retailer.
For me an adventure is about stepping out of your comfort zone to the point where the feeling impacts the heart. It's not about the destination or the means of travel used on the journey, infact you don't even need to physically travel to have an adventure.
Life itself is an adventure.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Or to simplify it in the context of ABR, riding a motorcycle anywhere out of the ordinary for pleasure, whether it be for an hour, a day, a week or a year.
Definition of ‘Out of the ordinary’ - Not one’s daily commute or weekly shop, although some might find either a pleasure.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

My daily commute has been something of an adventure the last couple of weeks. Riding on roads that are doing a passable imitation of a river.
Cheers
iaint

Post by iaint »

Wikipedia states the meaning of the word adventure is an exciting experience that is typically a bold, sometimes risky, undertaking. Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger such as traveling, exploring, skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, river rafting or participating in extreme sports. Adventures are often undertaken to create psychological arousal or in order to achieve a greater goal such as the pursuit of knowledge that can only be obtained in a risky manner.

As for me, It's the new people i meet, the new places i visit, the journey. Adventure doesn't have to mean traveling miles. It may be just around the corner.
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

For some it's experiences, for some it's doing something different, for others it's how far they went, how hot it was, how cold it was, how far away it was. For a few it's about impressing those they'll never know with some aspect of the trip and for others it will be totally personal with no need to share.
And of course it's all those things and none of them.
My "adventures" will seem bold to some and very dull to others, but they are my adventures, they are not for others, they are for me. Some I share and some I do alone. They make me smile, laugh, think, occasionally fear and my life is better for having done them than not.
That does it for me, enjoy whatever does it for you, it's all part if the greater adventure of life itself.
And if it's true, and it all flashes before you at the end, you wouldn't want to be bored, would you.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”