Hard shoulder penality

Bikers and riding
PatC

Re: Hard shoulder penality

Post by PatC »

Not on a hard shoulder but still solid white line related. My mate was on his way over to meet up for a ride. Just round the corner from his house is a railway level crossing and the barriers were down as he approached with four or five cars already in the queue. He decided to go to the front of the queue and moved out to overtake. Unfortunately for him a police car was the first in line on the other side of the crossing and he got pulled over when the gate opened. The policeman explained that there was a solid line on his side of the road on the last few metres up to the barrier and he'd crossed it. He got 3 points and a fine (apparently the policeman was into bikes and tried to have a nice friendly 'biker to biker' chat about my mate's VFR after he'd booked him). Since hearing that I'm very careful about not crossing any solid lines.
Monster

Post by Monster »

If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

PatC wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm Not on a hard shoulder but still solid white line related. My mate was on his way over to meet up for a ride. Just round the corner from his house is a railway level crossing and the barriers were down as he approached with four or five cars already in the queue. He decided to go to the front of the queue and moved out to overtake. Unfortunately for him a police car was the first in line on the other side of the crossing and he got pulled over when the gate opened. The policeman explained that there was a solid line on his side of the road on the last few metres up to the barrier and he'd crossed it. He got 3 points and a fine (apparently the policeman was into bikes and tried to have a nice friendly 'biker to biker' chat about my mate's VFR after he'd booked him). Since hearing that I'm very careful about not crossing any solid lines.
I thought that as long as the traffic is moving at less than 5mph (so stationary would be fine) then you are able to slowly cross white lines in the middle of the road to move to the front of a queue.
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Godspeed wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:34 pm
PatC wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm Not on a hard shoulder but still solid white line related. My mate was on his way over to meet up for a ride. Just round the corner from his house is a railway level crossing and the barriers were down as he approached with four or five cars already in the queue. He decided to go to the front of the queue and moved out to overtake. Unfortunately for him a police car was the first in line on the other side of the crossing and he got pulled over when the gate opened. The policeman explained that there was a solid line on his side of the road on the last few metres up to the barrier and he'd crossed it. He got 3 points and a fine (apparently the policeman was into bikes and tried to have a nice friendly 'biker to biker' chat about my mate's VFR after he'd booked him). Since hearing that I'm very careful about not crossing any solid lines.
I thought that as long as the traffic is moving at less than 5mph (so stationary would be fine) then you are able to slowly cross white lines in the middle of the road to move to the front of a queue.
Ditto on that.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I had a similar situation with some temporary traffic lights in Scotland about 10 years ago the only difference being that as I got towards the front of the queue the lights changed and I was overtaking 2 slow moving cars (one of which was an unmarked police car). When I got stopped further up the road the police said it was ok to cross the solid white line to overtake stationary vehicles but once they started to move I should have pulled straight back in rather than continue to overtake (which carries a 'dangerous driving' penalty). Fortunately I kissed enough ass to get away with it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I consider that I make a mistake, posted the £100 cheque and have moved, life is too short.
It seems to me its not about the risk but whether you broke some rule, supported by those guys that were finded for doing 1 or 2 MPH over the speed limit on a perfectly clear motorway.
I think in my case the police constable was just following established protcol.
paulcobb72

Post by paulcobb72 »

Dark Knight wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm Got fined £100 and 3 points for riding on the hard shoulder today.
Was coming back from the racing at East Fortune and on the M9 close to the Lathallan turn off, traffic had been stop start for ages and could not filter because of a large tesco truck and trailer.
Clutch hand was getting sore and was needing the toilet, close to 300 metre slip road marker, so decided to slip down the inside for the turn off.
Unfortunitly some guy in a white van had turned it over in the outside lane (driver was ok) close to the slip road and the police were in attendance, they stopped me.
It was afair cop because I was inside a solid white line before the junction.
Maybe I should carry a suitable bottle for pressing toilet issues.
I think the law is at times harsh on this. Reasons for crossing solid white are not looked at. Something should be amended here. :?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Many years ago.
I managed a pub/nightclub in Southampton, coming home in the early hours a sudden urge for wee meant I put my foot down a bit to get home.
Spotted by a copper and pulled over, told him I was in rush as I wanted a wee. He told me.to go and wee against a garden wall.
Once finished he proceeded to breathalyse me which I passed 🤗🤗 he couldn't do me.for speeding as no speed was actually recorded.

The bastard must of been having a bad day as he tried to do me for urinating in a public place.

His colleague saw sense and sent me on my way.
PatC

Post by PatC »

OnHellas wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:56 pm
Ditto on that.

Well not according to that particular PC that evening. It was all the worse because my friend was going through a very real personal tragedy at that time and the ride out was supposed to take his mind off things. I've been really careful around solid lines ever since.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

There seems to be pressure on the police to book people, maybe they feel that this proves they are doing their job and avoids more cuts in the numbers.
Or it just becomes some sort of accepted behavoir, robot police, what would the Peel man say, as the police are supposed to be ordinary people taken from the community to enforce the law.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”