Did you buy your bike new or used? Why?

Bikers and riding
Different Spokes TV

Did you buy your bike new or used? Why?

Post by Different Spokes TV »

I got my Moto Guzzi Stelvio used. It was a 2014 with about 15000km on it. It cost me less than half of what a brand new one would run. My wife, who is getting her motorcycle license just bought a 2015 Honda CB300F, again for about half the price of a new bike in the small naked class. My question is, do you prefer new or used? Reasons? Here are some of my thoughts. The thumbnail pic is of a younger me on my first bike twenty years ago. Yes, I was dumb enough to buy a 1400 as my first ride. Lived to tell the tale:

Billy Bananahead

Re: Did you buy your bike new or used? Why?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Bikes. New and used. Why? 'Cos I could.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Surely the key to this is budget? If money weren't an issue, surely we'd all buy new?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

nope!!

I could have bought a new NC750 … but they were all silly red and matt black …. so I opted for a very recent (170 mile) shiny all gloss-black one … coz it was a lot pritttier ….. :D :lol:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I buy used because (for me) it gives better value for money, I'm not overly precious about washing it or dropping it and I'm also incredibly tight.
Choices, choices.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Used every time.

I see absolutely no good reason to p*ss away money on a brand new bike when either a 'proper' older bike (like my Guzzi Griso) won't lose any money or even if I feel the need for gizmo's and bollocks (like the AT) then a 6 month old one is just as good as brand new.

I'm pleased there are people that feel they need to have brand new (although in my more thoughtful moments we all realise it's just not sustainable and we need to change our 'need shiny new things' approach to life) as it keeps a great supply coming for those of us who don't feel the need :D
BobH

Post by BobH »

Mainly used, and mainly because previous owners have completed the beta testing and added some useful accessories which done often make a big difference to the 2nd hand price. The times i bought new I have always been disappointed with dealer setup or problems that have needed addressing. Never felt that with a 2nd hand.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

I had been looking at getting a new Suzuki V-Strom 650XT recently and very nearly bought one until I had a look on Auto Trader. In the end I got a second hand one with just over 2 thousand miles on the clock, £1600.00 off the price new and the best part of a thousand quids worth of extras. Happy chappy.

Nick.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Most of the bikes have went out of production many years ago or have been superseded by newer less good versions :D
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Used, two of them because they're not made any more, being over 30 years old, and my CRF250 Rally as an ex demo as I got £900 off for 400 used miles.

And I'm poor and tighter that tight thing :D
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”