Did you buy your bike new or used? Why?

Bikers and riding
SteveW

Re: Did you buy your bike new or used? Why?

Post by SteveW »

FatFreddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm Surely the key to this is budget? If money weren't an issue, surely we'd all buy new?
Sort of......Even if you've got a healthy budget and you could easily afford a new bike, the savings to be had buying a nearly new ultra low mileage bike can very attractive.
With the growth of PCP's the secondhand market has plenty of pristine very low mileage bikes, often loaded up with all the touring "Essentials"
Some folk are a wee bit OCD about the fact that someone has ridden 1200 miles over two years on a bike.....rendering it soiled in some way.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

October 2018, 0% finance from Yamaha on a new Tracer 900 GT, would have been rude not to!
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

SteveW wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 am
FatFreddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm Surely the key to this is budget? If money weren't an issue, surely we'd all buy new?
Sort of......Even if you've got a healthy budget and you could easily afford a new bike, the savings to be had buying a nearly new ultra low mileage bike can very attractive.
With the growth of PCP's the secondhand market has plenty of pristine very low mileage bikes, often loaded up with all the touring "Essentials"
Some folk are a wee bit OCD about the fact that someone has ridden 1200 miles over two years on a bike.....rendering it soiled in some way.
Good point, I only really meant if money really was no object. I've bought some fairly nice, well maintained bikes over the years and ruined them all.
A new bike would be wasted on me.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Met a fella recently who told me his Dad had bought every single UK model that Kawasaki had ever made.
And doesn't even have a bike licence! Keeps them in a warehouse as a "collection".
Probably bullsh*t as his Dad would have to be a) very rich and b) slightly stupid.
X
Last edited by FatFreddy on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev

Post by Trev »

FatFreddy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:43 pm Met a fell recently who told me his Dad had bought every single UK model that Kawasaki had ever made.
And doesn't even have a bike licence! Keeps them in a warehouse as a "collection".
Probably bullsh*t as his Dad would have to be a) very rich and b) slightly stupid.
X
I don't think the KC100 has become a classic, hopefully he gave that one a miss :D :D
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Bikes i have bought new over the years.
My first proper motorcycle Suzuki TS250ER . I had just joined the RAF and i spent all my savings from my paper rounds and Saturday jobs. Yes i saved £775 as a kid! :shock:
Laverda Jota 180 1982(last of the 180,s before the 120 came out and they were selling it for £2200!) from Chris Clarkes in Wymondham. I only went in to buy a secondhand Yamaha RD350LC and was swayed by this beauty. :D
Yamaha YZ465G Moto Prince were selling of crated 1980 models in 1982 cheap because they had over ordered. This arrived at the gate at R.A.F Honington and i had to break it out of it,s crate,put the front wheel and handlebars on and push it to where i was storing it. I then had to come back and clear away the packing crate. :lol:
Generally i buy secondhand. This is because i have never had the funds to buy new. As it has been said already if nobody bought new there would be no secondhand bikes for the rest of us to buy. Even with cars we tend to buy a car that is maybe a year old and someone else has taken the hit on the first year of major depreciation in it,s value.
As i get older and the mortgage is payed off i would probably consider buying new bikes again,especially if it is a new model i have been waiting for and you don,t know when the first secondhand examples are going to be in the "market place"
It is all down to personal choice. I am a bit OCD and sometimes prefer a care worn pre-owned bike as i can,t bear the first time you scratch or drop a new bike or you get it all covered in mud or road dirt and get corrosion on the first couple of bolts ect :oops: :oops:
Moto Bikemad

Post by Moto Bikemad »

Bought new 19 years ago, still have and ride it most weeks.
Today if I had to change it would be pcp as I think the bikes will fail and the cost would to repair will be extravagant.
That doesn't help the planet, so then an old second hand one that could be repaired easily may be the way to go. :shock:
Been there, seen that, fell off.....
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Bought my Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 GT in 2008, price new then was £6,995 and Suzuki had a 0% finance package which I took advantage of at the time.

I still own the V-Strom, only 25k miles on the clock. No sign of getting rid of it, it ticks all the boxes for me.

Peter
Central Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
dave j

Post by dave j »

Used - because I’ll let some other mug spec the bike up for me and take the 50% depreciation hit over 2 and a half years.
KTM 1290 Super Adventure T - Power!
KTM 690 Enduro R - lighter to pick up
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - Fun.

Even our dogs are orange.

Only bikers understand why dogs put their heads out of car windows.
john_m4rsnall

Post by john_m4rsnall »

I got my custom Harley Davidson Sportster 1200cc two months ago, and yes, it is used. I bought a used motorbike because I wanted it to be a custom, unique one. Here are photos of it
I found it on https://thecustommotorcycle.co.uk/ad_ca ... -for-sale/ and bought almost instantly.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”