French speeding fine - time limit??

Bikers and riding
Monster

French speeding fine - time limit??

Post by Monster »

Hello

Just a bit of fishing here ....

David Beckham got off a speeding fine because of a time limit technicality ....

Is there a time limit for a speeding fine from France to reach your doorstep??

I think 6 months is taking the .....

Cheers
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Spike941

Re: French speeding fine - time limit??

Post by Spike941 »

My French speeding ticket arrived in the post yesterday, 6 months to the day from the date of the offence.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

They're trying to get every euro in before we leave the EU. :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

theres loads of people on some of the facebook biking sites getting them this week.must be something going on in france.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Motorhome sites too....think the french are after money to replace all the damaged cameras :o :lol:

Still its only money no endorcments on uk licence...
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 pm Motorhome sites too....think the french are after money to replace all the damaged cameras :o :lol:
Wouldn't be surprised if that was right, Russ. But nobody should ever underestimate the grinding slowness of french bureaucracy. A few of the more recently arrived brits living here have made the mistake of thinking that they have got away with something just because they didn't get fined for a year. Then a 'Republique Francais' letter arrives....
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm
Tramp wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 pm Motorhome sites too....think the french are after money to replace all the damaged cameras :o :lol:
Wouldn't be surprised if that was right, Russ. But nobody should ever underestimate the grinding slowness of french bureaucracy. A few of the more recently arrived brits living here have made the mistake of thinking that they have got away with something just because they didn't get fined for a year. Then a 'Republique Francais' letter arrives....
Motorhome sites too....think the french are after money to replace all the damaged cameras :o :lol:

Apparently 70 something million euros to replace all the burnt out cameras :shock: o
Monster

Post by Monster »

45 Euro thingies paid … lucky the other 3 cameras were forward facing

Still cheaper than the motorway
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

There's a funny little issue related to this.

Those of us brits resident in France have been told to swap our UK driving licences for french ones prior to brexit (whenever and whatever that is..). Thousands of us have applied, with supporting documentation and photocopies of our UK driving licences, to the Nantes Driving Licence Office (basically the French DVLA).

There's no problem with that for most. Happy to do the swap. BUT due to brexit the Nantes office is now swamped with applications and can't handle it. Many of us have waited months already to get our new licences and they have now suspended processing due to overload.

However - there is one historic way in which UK driving licence holders resident in France have always been forced to change their licence for French ones. That is when they are caught speeding and points need to be deducted (in France points are deducted, not added).

So those of us still waiting to have our licences swapped are kind of a bit tempted to jump the queue, beat the logjam, and get a speeding fine!!

The question is: how fast? The ideal situation is that one sees a working speed camera (quite unusual right now!) and deliberately get snapped at about 20kmh over the limit. Hopefully this would get a 90 Euro fine and an instant licence swap - good deal.

But the gendarmes could decide that 20kmh is not sufficiently serious to demand a licence swap and you'd just get the fine without the swap demand. Bad deal.

So do you go, let's say 60kmh over the limit? You'd definitely get nicked, but would it be so far over the limit that you get charged, sent to court and thrown in a Bastille dungeon? Very bad deal....

There must be a goldilocks speed that gets you a modest fine and a new french driving licence, but none of us know what it is... :lol: :lol: :lol:
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Been ducking and diving with my old English paper licence for years, still got my mum's address on it and I've been married thirty something years. Soooo have bit the bullet , partly due to Brexit, and we 're no longer in europe, gone for a French licence. This is my dilemma, as have had loads of speeding offences, etc, etc, always paid the fines, but hopefully they wont give me all the points at the same time, back dated, ....see where I'm going with this. Could get rather awkward me thinks :lol:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”