Air filters and specs

Bikers and riding
Mikekitts81

Air filters and specs

Post by Mikekitts81 »

So i been listening to alot of podcasts on motorcycling lately while ive been out in the coach and one was about filters and high flow filters and wether or not jetting would need changing etc if phtting an high flow filter on . In this discusion it was said that people are asking the wrong questions and forgetting what a air filter is for which is to filter the air .

If we buy a water filter it states the microns it will filter and has specifications on the filteration and how good a job they will or wont do .

So does anyone actually no why these filters are not specified or is it just the simply fact that are at 0 microns do we know .... ???

Would be good to see a test on what microns are coming through and what arent to see how good the filters actually are
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Hugh

Re: Air filters and specs

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I don't know if this link to K&N filters might help you with your search;

https://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

No doubt other manufacturers might provide similar information if asked.

All I want it to do is to stop large dollops of mud, grit and small animals getting drawn into my engines :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

i will have a read of that ... hugh

i just find it interesting that they dont state a micron reading at all depending on branding and money spent like with water filters .... my guess is there all standard at a specific micron ...

i guess that this could be also why we use a tacky oil over the top to stop any microns/particles getting in which is why it doesn't matter much about the micron readings or specifications when buying a filter. but that is just a guess
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

quite intresting read that hugh thankyou . i was surprised that the levels that cause most engine wear is around 10-20 microns and that this is what k and n filters aim to stop and all the other large manafacturers in filters . it was surprising to see that k and n have done some reasearch in the matter and stated that most cheap and unbranded filters that are copys dont stop the microns coming through ... i have always known that the filtering on the particles and microns have played a big importance in performance and engine wear. i shall be sticking to big brands like k and n or with o.e.m. parts . from now on and not just a filter that fits.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Unifilters...
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

A number of years ago a motoring magazine ran a test of stock filters versus after market "high performance" filters (K&N and suchlike).

The standard OEM stock filter came out either top or very close to it, I can't remember now.

The engine was tested properly on a dynometer.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

With an oilled foam filter, the quantity and type of oil used will have a considerable impact on the qualities of the base filter.

Most 'dry' filters actually filter better once they've had a bit of use: small particles (soot in particular) tend to stick to other small particles.

The real killer for engines is silica (sand/rock powder).
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The silica problem is particularly nasty for diesel engines if there are any air leaks of unfiltered air getting into the induction system.

TTFN

Hugh.
Speedy23

Post by Speedy23 »

Google "ISO 5011"......and things will become clearer...........there have been discussions re. "performance filters" on other fora, and there are those who believe what is written on the packet and those who do not..........I think the pertinent point is one that was made earlier....."what are filters meant to do?".

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”