MCC Lands End Trial 19/4/2019

Bikers and riding
tempesc

MCC Lands End Trial 19/4/2019

Post by tempesc »

Little plug for the forthcoming Lands End trial on 19/4/19. I ride these ‘through the night’ events every year and they are great fun.

If you’re interested, now’s the time to get your entry in. Details here. https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/events/

If you want to know what’s involved i’m just back from the Exeter trial yesterday. My video summary is here:

Any questions just ask. I am not associated with promoting the event in any way, just sharing as many seem unaware of these events.

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
diggermanbob

Re: MCC Lands End Trial 19/4/2019

Post by diggermanbob »

That looks like fun , were there any sidecar outfits out ?
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Great video. Funny as some of those climbs are very steep and slippery but the film clips never show how much. My local riding area and full of loads of decent lanes! .................... Great riding by the way
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Few side cars here going up Simms

Yes, agree on the hills. The camera flattens the gradients and hides the severity of some of the slabs. Some really great trails.

SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Freezing your nuts off on a cold, damp ride through the middle of the night and then a ruck of greasy lanes seen through a grubby bike headlight... What's not to like! :lol:

Was supposed to marshalling on the Clee Hill Trial later in the month. ie I got roped in after saying I was hoping to follow some of the route!! However, 5 days in the Canaries has a lure all of it's own, especially with a bike thrown in... ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

tempesc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:13 pm Few side cars here going up Simms

Yes, agree on the hills. The camera flattens the gradients and hides the severity of some of the slabs. Some really great trails.

I love the mix of vehicles on these events!! I'd love to see a Ural Cossack with 2 WD go up, aka German WW2 combo :D

Back in the late 50s and 60s, my Old Chap was the treasurer ( I think) of the Bugatti Owners Club (he didn't have one!) and as a result went to all sorts of these weird and wonderful events. I was taken to local MCC and car events and also Hill Climbs such as Prescott and Loton as an infant! Might explain some things... :mrgreen:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My great claim to fame....I was a works rider!

Well, I wasn't really. But I did passenger the factory TriKing (Morgan-inspired 3-wheeler with a modified Guzzi engine) in the LE Trial once, with TriKing boss Tony Divey at the wheel.

I wrote it up for Classic Bike...as was usual at the time, all the best bits got 'blue penciled' by the editor.

RIP Tony...what a man.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ne ... Divey.html
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Your videos looks like you had fun and no doubt plenty of surprises popping up out of the dark.

If folks might like to try their hand at such events but in daytime then perhaps watch out for the Airedale and Pennine Motor Car Club's Yorkshire Dales Classic Reliability Trial. Probably run next around May time, operating out of Pateley Bridge, great food too.

http://www.apmcc.co.uk/?page_id=84

You will meet some really friendly people and ride through magnificent scenery. I am lucky enough to have ridden it for the past three years and returned home each time with a great big smile. I simply enjoy the whole camaraderie and of riding routes across land not normally open to riders. Incidentally my avatar picture is of my attempting to ride one of the sections.

TTFN

Hugh.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

That looks good Hugh - i’ll watch out for the date but would love to give that a go. Not done any riding at all up that way.

tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Andy, thanks for posting up your video and the details of the club.

Since 2013 I've done the Land's End twice (attempted it 4 times) and attempted the Edinburgh twice.

These are fantastic events that have been going on since about 1901 apart from the war years. Steeped in history and quintessentially British.

Village halls stay open all night serving hot drinks and bacon rolls etc. Tiny village petrol stations open all night. These places have been making the trials what they are for over 100 years.

Once you've done one, they're strangely addictive. I'll be entering this year's Land's End and aiming to finish again this time.

If you think you might be interested, give it a go. https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/join-the-mcc/

Edit: By the way Steve, the 2 wheel drive sidecar outfits aren't permitted on the MCC trials. It's considered cheating to actually use a vehicle that has a chance of actually cleaning a section. :roll: Same goes for 4WD cars.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”