New Tenere 700

Bikers and riding
OnHellas

Re: New Tenere 700

Post by OnHellas »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 pm
OnHellas wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
RandG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am I have no idea of it's worth to a dealer though 18 plate DCT ATAS I'd guess nearer 10k than 8.
Well there you go, a good deal for the dealer as he'll make full margin on the T700 and he'll have your bike that stands him at £8500 and he'll retail it at well over £10,000 plus

Win-Win for the dealer...........plenty of profit right there for him

No Win for you

Personally I wouldn't do that deal, he's pulling your pants down, right enough

If you like burning money, set fire to £2000 in a pile of £10 notes and see if it gives you the same pleasure for 5 mins

I take it that you have all the details on the ATAS being discussed as a PX. Mileage, service history, condition, what the bike may need to get it ready for sale?

Also a quick look on what’s currently for sale and I find, at a Honda dealer, an Anniversary Edition with a couple of extras showing 16,500 miles. It will be freshly serviced for the new owner.
Price.....£8,699

And that’s in a sea of Africa Twins.

Add to the fact that the supplying Yamaha dealer has to pay Yamaha for the new bike once it’s sold so in effect they are stumping up money for secondhand stock.
Yes that’s the business that they’re in, but cash flow needs managing. They may even use a stocking plan that will cost them money.
The ATAS may sit around for a few months.
Profit is only realised at sale time.

The biggest part of this is this:- if RandG is happy with the deal he’s been offered then it’s a good deal! End of.
I bet my figs are closer to the truth knowing a bit about the motor trade

An ATAS with decent nick and low miles will retail nearer £10k

The dealer has only offered that deal to Cabby because there is a decent turn in it for the dealer for the reasons I stated

Dealers are not offering much for used bikes at present - the new & used market for bikes (and cars) is slowing due to a lack of consumer confidence, mainly due to Brexit uncertainties
My point was if the punter and the dealer are happy with the numbers then a deal happens. Valuing a bike without all of the details is pointless and misleading.

As a veteran of the motorcycle trade I too have a very good idea of how things work and if necessary markups/margins/VAT on used sales/stocking finance etc etc.

Just let RandG get on with it. If he’s happy then good job.
If, as it appears, he is going to wait and see what happens then that’s also good.

As for your own order, I thought that you’d actually gone ahead and done the deed?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:I'm tempted to wait til early next year as there seems to me nothing to actually gain by ordering now given I'm not likely to see it, at best in October and as said above, my days of riding in winter are long gone.
That was my thoughts too, for the following reasons
October - I don't ride through winter and the £300 early order discount will be overtaken by winter depreciation
More aftermarket accessories will be developed over winter leading to greater choice over the Yamaha only offerings now
Once the initial first wave hype had died down in Spring 2020 there may be some better deals about - equal to or better than the £300 early order discount
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

OnHellas wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 pm
OnHellas wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
RandG wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am I have no idea of it's worth to a dealer though 18 plate DCT ATAS I'd guess nearer 10k than 8.
Well there you go, a good deal for the dealer as he'll make full margin on the T700 and he'll have your bike that stands him at £8500 and he'll retail it at well over £10,000 plus

Win-Win for the dealer...........plenty of profit right there for him

No Win for you

Personally I wouldn't do that deal, he's pulling your pants down, right enough

If you like burning money, set fire to £2000 in a pile of £10 notes and see if it gives you the same pleasure for 5 mins

I take it that you have all the details on the ATAS being discussed as a PX. Mileage, service history, condition, what the bike may need to get it ready for sale?

Also a quick look on what’s currently for sale and I find, at a Honda dealer, an Anniversary Edition with a couple of extras showing 16,500 miles. It will be freshly serviced for the new owner.
Price.....£8,699

And that’s in a sea of Africa Twins.

Add to the fact that the supplying Yamaha dealer has to pay Yamaha for the new bike once it’s sold so in effect they are stumping up money for secondhand stock.
Yes that’s the business that they’re in, but cash flow needs managing. They may even use a stocking plan that will cost them money.
The ATAS may sit around for a few months.
Profit is only realised at sale time.

The biggest part of this is this:- if RandG is happy with the deal he’s been offered then it’s a good deal! End of.
I bet my figs are closer to the truth knowing a bit about the motor trade

An ATAS with decent nick and low miles will retail nearer £10k

The dealer has only offered that deal to Cabby because there is a decent turn in it for the dealer for the reasons I stated

Dealers are not offering much for used bikes at present - the new & used market for bikes (and cars) is slowing due to a lack of consumer confidence, mainly due to Brexit uncertainties
My point was if the punter and the dealer are happy with the numbers then a deal happens. Valuing a bike without all of the details is pointless and misleading.

As a veteran of the motorcycle trade I too have a very good idea of how things work and if necessary markups/margins/VAT on used sales/stocking finance etc etc.

Just let RandG get on with it. If he’s happy then good job.
If, as it appears, he is going to wait and see what happens then that’s also good.

As for your own order, I thought that you’d actually gone ahead and done the deed?

Your opinion is yours and mine is mine - we differ that's all

I was merely advising that it was a better deal for the dealer than it was for Cabby

If he wants to go ahead then crack on

Or if he gets a test ride in Sept on a T700 and likes it he could sell his ATAS privately and order a T700 for Spring as a cash buyer

I have put in a provisional order for Springtime for the reasons stated in my post above this

No point get giddy about a bike that Yamaha can't currently supply as the French factory is closed for August and on holiday
All the ones they built before August are pre sold to forward ordered customers
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Well :o... Today i sat on ine thanks to a new owner letting me... It fitted me perfect but the bars are not wide and wiered angle... The seat is a instrument of torture bit like my ccm644 one.. The blue blingy wheels well not for me but the black bbeauty was less in your face :lol:..

But i still love the xt660z as the mtc can is so loud the t700 sounded like a wet lettuce but compared to a africa twin its was so small and lower than my std xt660z... I didnt get a ride though :oops:.. Sure the new owner finds it different to his triumph xt tiger thingy..
paulcobb72

Post by paulcobb72 »

It looks great, I will wait to have a feel of it.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Brain Gray in high wycombe has a demo bike in stock. It's the white and red one. I must say the white/red is a lot nicer in the flesh than the blue one I've seen before. The blue looks odd but white is a nice mix. Red on rear looks orange in pics but it's a nice ducati red when seen live. Thought about going for a spin but a bit concerned it would be too good and I'd have to buy one. Just bought a xt500 so definitely no more room.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
RandG

Post by RandG »

redbikejohn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 pm . I must say the white/red is a lot nicer in the flesh than the blue one I've seen before. The blue looks odd but white is a nice mix.

In your opinion.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Got it at last :D
IMG_5749.jpeg
IMG_5749.jpeg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
one-legged adventurer
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Fuggin ACE Bob, fuggin ACE