Filming your ride...

Bikers and riding
Negan

Filming your ride...

Post by Negan »

I’m looking for advice/input (banter always welcome) from those that dabble in amateur video while on two wheels. Nowadays the amount of tech available opens up endless possibilities but I’m aiming to find the best compromise without having a man with a van follow us around.

Has anyone tried using the Gopro 7 connected to Sena 30k? After considering everything from smartphone to drone I’m attempting to film as much as possible with the least amount of disruption. That means I want to start and stop video while riding with camera mounted in different positions. I also wish to be able to narrate on the go using the helmet intercom.

I know the latest Garmin camera integrates well with both the Zumo (I use the 595LM) and the Sena (I may need to finally replace the SMH10’s) but I like the stabilizer built into the Hero 7.

My wife and I both prefer to rather focus on the ride than capturing it but for the next extended adventure we are contemplating firming a bit more to share after the fact.

What do you use and why?
There is no app for this :twisted:
Cone

Re: Filming your ride...

Post by Cone »

I have a basic garmin virb. Its bash proof solid and waterproof. It films well too and i can plug it in on the bike.

I also learn a nice trick, if you use it with you garmin sat nav, you can down load your track, it alines your route, speed, inclination etc and can display them without the expensive gps add on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NLPgdeeutg

For a budget cam its pretty good and a few years old, this was filmed on its lower data setting so i get 16hrs on a sd card
Negan

Post by Negan »

Cone wrote:I have a basic garmin virb. Its bash proof solid and waterproof. It films well too and i can plug it in on the bike.
I guess on a long tour the option for hard wired power is valuable.

I also want to start and stop video regardless where I choose to mount the camera. I’ll keep gathering info for now.

Thx for your input!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Just remembered to behave yourselves or you could end up filming your own episode of Road Wars........don't ask how I know this 🙄
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Negan

Post by Negan »

redbikejohn wrote:Just remembered to behave yourselves or you could end up filming your own episode of Road Wars........don't ask how I know this Image
That sounds like a story for a campfire!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Negan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 am
Cone wrote:I have a basic garmin virb. Its bash proof solid and waterproof. It films well too and i can plug it in on the bike.

I also want to start and stop video regardless where I choose to mount the camera. I’ll keep gathering info for now.

Thx for your input!

You can buy a remote control for GoPro cameras... well, you could when I bought mine; not sure if you still can. Strap it to the handlebar on the clutch side.

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Negan

Filming your ride...

Post by Negan »

OB1 wrote:
Negan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 am

Thx for your input!

You can buy a remote control for GoPro cameras... well, you could when I bought mine; not sure if you still can. Strap it to the handlebar on the clutch side.

I’ve used one, unless both camera and remote is hardwired to power, it wouldn’t last very long.

However, on an extended trip I will probably hardwire everything to avoid charging everything at the end of the day.

Latest Gopro also connects to phone but does not allow connection to headset for narration. That seems to be limited to Garmin’s Virb.
GB

Post by GB »

I use a session 5, one touch to record, small and light, easy to view on iPhone and easy to transfer to it to free up memory. Image stabilisation is good, not as good as the 7 but if mounted on a decent mount or your person its really good.
You don't need load of battery time as you want to record short clips as no-one likes watching hours of on bike footage.
Finally back on a GS :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

GB wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 pm
You don't need load of battery time as you want to record short clips as no-one likes watching hours of on bike footage.
Almost as bad as having to sit through a Wedding video... even when edited. :roll:
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I use a TomTom Bandit, I like the feature where you can use the app to simply create a minute long video (a "story") of 10, 6 second random clips just by shaking your phone.
Well not entirely random, it uses "highlights" which are based on set parameters like speed, g-force, braking, acceleration etc

I'm not keen on the remote though. It flashes a red LED to indicate if it's recording. But every 4 or 5 seconds so you need to take your eyes off the road longer than I'd like in some instances to check if it is actually recording or to make sure you have stopped recording. The off button is a bit fiddly. I end up recording longer than I mean to because it hasn't turned record off.
The Drift Ghost HD I used before it has a great remote. Quite big with 2 large buttons that turn recording on and off but can also change mode from video > photo > burst > etc and the flashing LED changes colour with each mode. It's also a lot easier to see if recording is in progress.

The longest video I put on YouTube is 15 minutes but I like to add the minute long "stories" to Facebook while I'm away.
Easy to download to you phone then upload to FB. WiFi connection preferred.

A good battery is essential for standby, you don't always record but it's not always easy to turn the camera on & off whilst riding. If you have a remote and the camera is in standby then it's a cinch.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”