Winches

Bikers and riding
Steven

Winches

Post by Steven »

Hi guys, Im new to the ABR bike thing and i have a 2017 BMW GSA and I'm 61. Have been doing a couple of fairly tame adventure rides on my own over a couple of days on some dirt roads. By the way I am in Australia, Melbourne to be exact.

My question is regarding 12 volt electric winches. Warn did make a light (8-9)lbs 12 volt winch capable of 1700 lbs pull model XT17 which doesn't appear to be available any more for some reason. Other brands etc are roughly double the weight at 20lbs . Designed mostly for ADV's from what i can see. 2500lbs pull.

I have seen these electric winches demo'd on You tube and they look very impressive for bike recovery. I have dropped the bike a couple of times on my own in the sticks when its muddy and I assure it was nearly a coin toss to leave it and walk home I was so stuffed. I have seen some of the manual winches and they look great but really they are 2 man job.

So does anyone have any type of electric winch they use? And yes i know the obvious..never go on yr own etc etc.
Steven
diggermanbob

Re: Winches

Post by diggermanbob »

I often ride on my own that's why I ride a lightweight bike so I can pick it up , winches are great bits of kit if you have something to pull off , never used one on a bike but plenty of times on my landrover.
990Duck

Post by 990Duck »

There was a post on this topic some time ago.
racket straps make a good cheap alternative, as I found out when I got stuck.
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG (155.36 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Ive bought myself one of these,havent used or even practised with it yet.
https://www.eastbound.org/english-menu/ ... explained/
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

For me, if you're going places with a GS which need a winch, then frankly you just should'nt be going to those places on it.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Pint Master wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 pm Ive bought myself one of these,havent used or even practised with it yet.
https://www.eastbound.org/english-menu/ ... explained/
Neat bits of kit. Although for what the OP needs, a longer ratchet strap is needed ;)

Which has reminded me I need to fit one back on the Honda for winter trail riding!! :mrgreen:
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

"2017 BMW GSA and I'm 61"

Yeah, I don't think a winch is going to be the answer. Smaller bike, and/or going in a group would be more realistic options.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”