Bmw gs1200 self driving

Bikers and riding
Mikekitts81

Bmw gs1200 self driving

Post by Mikekitts81 »

So i was reading about the new self-drive system on the BMW rgs1200 and found it a bit pointless why do they make these gadgets for bikes i don't understand it cruise control yea i could understand that but why do you want a bike that will drive to star bucks for you doesn't that take the excitement out of riding in the first places . You may as well go pillion and save yourself 12,000 pounds if you're buying a bike that will ride for you. Its madness if you ask me and something else that will go wrong and render the bike useless cause a sensor fails or a chipboard blows.
Last edited by Mikekitts81 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
daveuprite

Re: Bmw gs1200 self driving

Post by daveuprite »

Seriously? Just checked - it's a long time until April 1st.

We have a self-driving horse. When I'm on-board it's certainly not me in charge - anything could happen, and sometimes does. :lol:
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:15 pm No aprils first heres the link up http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/self- ... w-r1200gs/
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks Mike - interesting.

Obviously, as a technical exercise it's superb. But it is clearly programmed to ride in the approved careful BMW GS way. Yawn.

I see a future where we tell our bikes to go and have a great day out for us while we sit in and watch the football...

I would like to re-map mine to go and cause mayhem on the streets while I lie about getting drunk. And perhaps watch the results of my handiwork on TV via on-board cameras, as my proxy-bike carves up traffic and wheelies like a loon through the rush-hour.... :D
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

It's not that frigging clever though is it?...it didnt even remember to retract the bloomin side stand.........
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I 'drove' a self-driving articulated truck in Germany last week.

It can only drive itself where there is a white line visible on either side of the road. I'm sure I'm not the only person to see an issue with that.

On a more positive note, it had brilliant CCTV 'mirrors' that pivoted the cameras to track the trailer wheels through turns. Much more useful!

But the idea of a self-driving motorcycle is stupid...why bother?
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

An exercise in making a dull bike even duller. Hopefully they’ll manage to find a way to prevent the rider from fallen off the bike when they fall asleep through boredom
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

it amazes me that in probably every vehicle manufacturer in world there is a department full of engineers striving to make driving more a interesting and involving experience, and another seeking to abolish it altogether.

Also, once we have autonomous vehicles, surely the whole point of owning them goes...and you are left with a spot hire fleet and a much reduced market.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if you notice .. there is no rider … too complex to dial this in yet (balance/movement)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”