Long Way Up

Bikers and riding
OB1

Re: Long Way Up

Post by OB1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am

catcitrus wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 pm
The whole bike shed/hipster thing bubble is bursting--simply because the bikes are not really practical outside London--buy an Enfield Himalayan!- people are trying to make money simply by taking things off perfectly good old school iron--and 12k for a "new" one !!

I'm sorry, but I have to take issue with the part where you say that some of these bikes aren't practical outside of London. I think that it is more likely that we have been lead to believe that they are impractical for anything other than scooting around the big smoke. It's just a matter of what we have become used to, just like you need a huge 4x4 to pull a caravan.

I spent all of my youth in rural Lincolnshire earning a pittance, so all that I could afford was mid-sized 1970s and 80s Japanese motorcycles. This, however, didn't stop my yearning to travel. Some of the highlights over those years were: Lincoln to Leicester on a Honda CD185 Benley; 23 counties of England, 2-up with luggage on a Suzuki GS450, Lincoln to Duisburg, Germany, 2-up with luggage on a Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster and Lincoln to Faro, Portugal on a Honda GL500 Silverwing (3,500 mile round trip). Even now, my current bike is classed as mid-sized (Triumph Tiger 800 XCx) on which I have done plenty of 600+ mile days.

So, when someone says that a modern, 1200cc motorcycle can't be practical for anything other than short spins around our nation's capital, I have to object and tell them to get some perspective.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
https://ob1uk.wordpress.com

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
catcitrus

Re: Long Way Up

Post by catcitrus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:26 am

OB1 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am
catcitrus wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 pm
The whole bike shed/hipster thing bubble is bursting--simply because the bikes are not really practical outside London--buy an Enfield Himalayan!- people are trying to make money simply by taking things off perfectly good old school iron--and 12k for a "new" one !!

I'm sorry, but I have to take issue with the part where you say that some of these bikes aren't practical outside of London. I think that it is more likely that we have been lead to believe that they are impractical for anything other than scooting around the big smoke. It's just a matter of what we have become used to, just like you need a huge 4x4 to pull a caravan.

I spent all of my youth in rural Lincolnshire earning a pittance, so all that I could afford was mid-sized 1970s and 80s Japanese motorcycles. This, however, didn't stop my yearning to travel. Some of the highlights over those years were: Lincoln to Leicester on a Honda CD185 Benley; 23 counties of England, 2-up with luggage on a Suzuki GS450, Lincoln to Duisburg, Germany, 2-up with luggage on a Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster and Lincoln to Faro, Portugal on a Honda GL500 Silverwing (3,500 mile round trip). Even now, my current bike is classed as mid-sized (Triumph Tiger 800 XCx) on which I have done plenty of 600+ mile days.

So, when someone says that a modern, 1200cc motorcycle can't be practical for anything other than short spins around our nation's capital, I have to object and tell them to get some perspective.
I'm also pretty well travelled ,but I won't go into detail--my point is related to the practicalities of carrying luggage and having a decent fuel range--you can ride around the world on a C90--and people have done it--but lets face it the hipster thing is just for looks--and as a scene I still think its getting to the end of its short life as the participants will "move on".

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”