South America

Bikers and riding
OnHellas

Re: South America

Post by OnHellas »

How much gravel you ride is entirely up to you. Make your route suit what you want to do/are comfortable with.

I am currently using Continental TKC70’s here in Australia. They are 7000 miles in and although a bit square, have loads of tread depth left.

When I was in South America I met a couple of chaps from Alaska. The one on an F800GS was using Heidenau K60 on the rear and it seemed to last for ages, until a puncture ruined it.

I too would avoid TKC80’s and the like as I think that their life would be to short. I’m saying that withou personal experience.
agrantg

Re: South America

Post by agrantg »

I am just back from my second trip to Argentina, this time 2 weeks in Patagonia and I can tell you that there is gravel and there is gravel or ripio as it is known there. There are gravel roads that have been there for ever and don't get graded. I am not an experienced off-roader, but these are a delight to ride. Yes, there are pot holes, but usually, you can still make reasonable progress. The gravel roads which are a nightmare are those where the big grading machines have been out. They dump tons of gravel, loosely spread it and then a grading machine comes along later. Unfortunately, trucks and cars come along in between and you end up with huge ruts, which are horrible to ride in, particularly if you are overloaded. I was lucky that I was riding a lightweight, locally built enduro bike, so there were manageable, but not enjoyable. Had I been on my UK bike, I would most probably have turned round and found an alternative route, but of course, in Argentina, that can mean a lot of miles.
I am now planning the next trip. Once the bug grips you, it is difficult to stop.
Oh and by the way, be prepared for the Patagonian crosswinds. They can be fierce. That said, you won't be disappointed. There are roads and views to die for, the people are so friendly, the beer is good and the steaks are legendary.
Ali

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”