Survival options

Bikers and riding
sprintster

Re: Survival options

Post by sprintster »

That's what I think Dansin.You can do as much advanced training as you want and no doubt it may help in being aware of hazards but in a real emergency brake situation where there was no chance of expecting it,your just relying on natural instincts cutting in.If you have time to think what you are doing,you have time to take evasive action.I once had a close shave with a combine harvester turning left into a farm yard and filling the road.Locked up back brake,skidding past in the dirt between the road and verge.And a change of pants when I got home.
Last edited by sprintster on Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

A good few years ago on my 1150 GSA I was travelling down the autobahn towards Munich
A few hundred yards in front a VW Polo lost control and hit the central barrier and then shot back into lane 1
However the whole front plastic bumper was ripped off and laying in the carriageway in front of me like an upturned canoe
I was doing 70mph +
It was wet
No chance to brake - too close
So I stood up
Accelerated hard
Tugged on the bars as I got close and rode over it
Weight of loaded bike and momentum carried me through
Change of pants required
Hard to plan for
However many years of off-road and competition Trials gave me the instinct to try to stand up and tug on the bars over the obstacle ahead
It worked
I was lucky
My fellow mates following thought I was going down and they'd have to pick up the pieces
Instinct like Richard says plays a part
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

I would think braking hard will not only cut some speed but give a little more thinking time.

Good idea to head for the rear of the animal as its likely to bolt.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

The biggest issue here is target fixation, whether you grab a big handful of brake or not it's very easy to look at the object and there's only one direction you are going to go (I've got that t-shirt). You can practise positive target fixation when avoiding debris on the road etc but when that oh shit moment happens how you react is pure instinct.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yoyo on Sat May 19, 2018 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 pm Aim for where the dog was when you first saw it...by the time you get there it won't be there anymore.

In that situation, probably better to swerve than brake.
I like this idea, however it doesn't work with Squirrels! the little fuckers run one way then spin round and run back from where they came from 'splat'!!!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

dibbs wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:25 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 pm Aim for where the dog was when you first saw it...by the time you get there it won't be there anymore.

In that situation, probably better to swerve than brake.
I like this idea, however it doesn't work with Squirrels! the little fuckers run one way then spin round and run back from where they came from 'splat'!!!
And if a pheasant see's you coming they run straight towards you wtf :o
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

The other thing, what do you think are the odds of that dog (think that it was an Afgan hound) running across the road just when i was passing that spot.
Its as if something had compressed time, i.e. compressed hours into seconds, so that the incident that was going to happen, happened just when I was passing, maybe someone/something is out to get me.

This should get some interesting replies.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Dark Knight wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:29 pm The other thing, what do you think are the odds of that dog (think that it was an Afgan hound) running across the road just when i was passing that spot.
Its as if something had compressed time, i.e. compressed hours into seconds, so that the incident that was going to happen, happened just when I was passing, maybe someone/something is out to get me.

This should get some interesting replies.
If a midgie farts on the shore of of Loch Lomond does it cause a typhoon in the sea of Japan.

Don't over think things, shit happens
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

I was out riding in Wales today and had a close call with a Eagle of all things, I think it was of those Red Kite things it was f***in big anyway .it sprang out of the bushes to my left not 20 feet in front of me at head height, damn thing thought it was king of the sky but it sure got spooked and skittered off to the right when it found me slowing some feet behind it. :lol:
Length: 60-66cm
Wingspan: 175-195cm
Weight: 800-1,300g
Cone

Post by Cone »

This is a relevant topic after today. Did a few small lanes and was having fun on the back roads. I didn’t think I was going to fast, I wasn’t breaking the speed limit but I rounded a corner and a tractor was in the middle of the road. With this being an unclassified road there was not much room to play with especially as he was loaded with his plough in vertical setting. Some how I managed to squeeze through the gap it felt tight I had no time to brake just had to go towards the light.

I think it was close, it for sure slowed me down lots on that journey and I can’t bring myself to watch the video footage! When you come up against something your not expecting I think you have to make your decision and do it. No hesitation.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”