Great Rugby and Military Weekend

Bikers and riding
gbags

Great Rugby and Military Weekend

Post by gbags »

This is not a bike event but I went there on my bike and there are quite a few ex-military/history buffs on here who might like it. If I’m in the wrong place, please move me.

This last weekend, on Saturday the 12th of May, I went to the Old Leamingtonians Rugby Club in Leamington Spa for a rugby tournament that a loved one was taking part in. It was called Rugby For Heroes. The event went on all weekend.
If you don’t like rugby much, bear with me.

Ten years ago this event was started to commemorate the Warwickshire soldiers (and particularly one or two Paras) who’d been killed fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
This weekend there were elite 7’s teams, military and civilian 10’s teams and ladies 7’s and 10’s events. The military teams were from 2 PARA and RMAS Sandhurst.

The day started with the tournament balls being flown in by two Gazelle helicopters that then parked up between two of the pitches and they let adults and kids sit inside and get their pictures taken. Donations were voluntary.
CE9FA659-8A22-4A39-8D65-55904B4AC67D.jpeg
CE9FA659-8A22-4A39-8D65-55904B4AC67D.jpeg (233.13 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
There was great rugby and then at 1.00 pm there was a very low fly past by a single engine Spitfire. The pilot looped back and ‘beat us up’ twice more. The sound of the Merlin engines alone was well worth the £10 entry fee.
There were lots stalls for great food, drinks. There was music and camping too.

More rugby until 7.00 pm when the Parachute regiment’s display team, the Red Devils jumped in. They had meant to jump from 10,000’ but the weather had turned rainy so they flew around and around trying to find a hole at 2,500’ to drop through. Eventually they found one and jumped in steady rain onto the first XV pitch. It would have been easy to call it off due to the weather but these guys wouldn’t quit.

I’ve tried to add videos of the Spitfire and Red Devils here but they were rejected.

Thousands of pounds will have been raised for charities this weekend. As I said, my loved one went as a player and I have no connection to anything here so it’s an honest plug from a bloke who had a great day and would have stayed the weekend if I’d had time.

Not very bike though, I’ll admit.
PaulinBont

Re: Great Rugby and Military Weekend

Post by PaulinBont »

Why do we hear about these after the event :(

Would have loved to have been there
lancashirelad

Re: Great Rugby and Military Weekend

Post by lancashirelad »

Great pic of the Gazelle, a few years ago I was watching the Scottish 6 day when one of the officers from the army unit that was supplying the refuelling for the bikes flew in in one, what a way to watch a trial :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”