Peak District recommendations

Bikers and riding
Uncle Denz

Peak District recommendations

Post by Uncle Denz »

Hi

Just looking for advice as to anywhere worth visiting in the Peak District. Have to be in Leeds for the Friday, the wife and I heading back down to Mid Wales via PD over the weekend. Not an area I have visited before. Ideally looking to spend two nights in the same place so need somewhere with something to see/do and a recommended route if anyone has any.

Many thanks

UD
Jak*

Re: Peak District recommendations

Post by Jak* »

There is masses to do and see it depends what you want. Are you travelling by bike? There are various stately homes, good walks, historic transport, goods pubs, restaurants, hotels etc. If you want to stay for two nights and want places to go out eating and drinking within walking distance you may be better in Matlock or Buxton.
I live in Wirksworth on the South East edge, the town itself is worth a visit with an old railway, a couple of very good restaurants and some cracking pubs. One night here might be enough for most people. If you are staying in Leeds 42 the Calls is a good hotel with a very good Tapas place next door.
Give us more of an idea of what you are looking for and I or others on here may be able to help or pm me your number I am happy to talk through what I know.
Cheers Jak
Uncle Denz

Post by Uncle Denz »

Thanks jak

I realise that I was a bit vague and am not sure what I’m looking for - just after some inspiration. We will be going by bike. Probably a nice walk of a few hours should feature and then places of interest - quite like the idea of historic transport and a decent pub/restaurant for the evening.

Thanks
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Castleton is famous for views and walking and if yer have a circular ride hathersage hope edale back to castelton to bradwell across to eyam and bakewell baslow chatsworth Matlock cromfrod wirkworth.

HTHY or send us a email to [email protected] and if yer have a garmin I will send you a GPX file to load

Not forgetting Chezvagas and the spire

HTHY
Mick
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

If you take a look on ViewRanger at Tissington you should find a route which I prepared and which might be of use you to or might give some ideas but please feel free to use as you see fit;

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ ... 9761057|14

A list of biker friendly places are shown on the APTR website; http://peaktrailriders.co.uk/index.php/ ... dly-places

TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

In terms of transport I would recommend the Crich Tramway museum. There are a few local preserved railways but the Tramway museum is pretty unique I think.
The Old Forge in Monyash is a great cafe and you can walk to Lathkill dale form there which is stunning but I would advise decent walking boots,, the cafe at the station in Grindleford is more a a transport caff but good grub at a decent price and you can walk from there up,onto the moors. The Monsal Head hotel was good, although it is a good few years since I have stayed there. The food and beer in the pub next door is great as is that at the Pack horse done the road in Little Longstone.
East Lodge Hotel at Rowsley is very good although a bit pricey.
In Wirksworth http://www.number37wirksworth.co.uk has been recommended by other people but I have not stayed there myself. The Mistral and Mercia are both good restaurants and the Hope and Anchor has just reopened and people I know say the food is good. The Featherstar is a great little micro pub but can get packed and the Royal Oak is a proper drinkers and talkers pub. The Balti in Matlock Bath is great as are most of the chips shops there. The Bank note offers good beer and Fishpond often has good bands on, does decent pub grub and good beer.
Carsington Water is worth a look it is an easy 8 mile walk round, Stanton moor is worth a look and you can do a shortish, couple of mile circuit round the top with fantastic views, it will be a lot drier than most places at the moment.
Cheers Jak
Uncle Denz

Post by Uncle Denz »

Thank you all, that's some great info. Will probably combine the lot!
Mick, I've sent you an email re the gpx file please.

Heading back to mid Wales, looks like we have to go through some populated areas. Any good roads heading from, say Bakewell area to Shropshire and back to Welshpool-ish?

Thanks again!
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I will add a bit more to my route to take yer over through to Leek = in Staffordshire
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”