New m.o.t laws etc

Bikers and riding
Africa John

Re: New m.o.t laws etc

Post by Africa John »

Mikekitts81 wrote:I was reading today that any smoke colour coming out of your exhaust is an instant fail especially if there's some sort of dpf fitted.
Diesels only mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Africa John wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:19 pm
Mikekitts81 wrote:I was reading today that any smoke colour coming out of your exhaust is an instant fail especially if there's some sort of dpf fitted.
Diesels only mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
didn't say that in the news article just made out we were all doomed with the new laws makes sense thou
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I had my 2004 old tchno ccm mot on saturday just gone and asked tester if todays changes would effect me...

NO was tge answer, just hid conversions :lol: ...tgry are also thinking in the future of emmision testing bikes thst carry tests done at homologation...

Also under the new code if your bike is seriously unsafe the mot station cannot prevent you riding it home even though it has failed badly...but he said mostfails are bearings and bulbs so silly should have cgecked it at hone stuff
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just got my Triumph Tiger 1050 MOTd--asked the tester about "new laws"--and he said that they were still waiting for detail and "training"--what a bunch of iriots. On visual smoke --apparently its always been there--at the tester's discretion--what happens on a really cold day?--condensation--for every gallon of fuel consumed there is a gallon of water produced--simple chemistry. Out of respect I changed back my dip LED H7 to an incandescent (although the LED had previously passed the dipped beam alignment test)---he noticed because of the colour change! I've since put the LED back in as its on all the time--and has been ultra reliable. My Main was left as an H9 LED and that passed ok. The one thing that has changed is the format of the printed certificate!
I agree on failures being lack of maintenance/checks--it doesn't take much to waggle things and have a look beforehand !--and presenting a vehicle (especially a motorcycle) with stupid, obvious faults gets the tester a bit pissed off and he/she is more likely to start digging from that point on --although they are following a strict regime they are human!
bowber

Post by bowber »

There's been a few scary articles on websites and papers but the majority of the new rules were already there. It was always illegal to drive a dangerous vehicle on the road, visible smoke was always in the test and HID/LED conversions (in a normal light fitting) have always been illegal. Most of this is just clarifying what was already there.

Steve
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

so HID conversions (where the "arc" is in the same place as the incandescent)--have been "illegal" despite the position of the light source suiting the reflector?--and that is the key point surely--emit light in the right place to suit the reflector and the beam pattern will be as intended. I've had several "decent" LEDs pass the beam cut off test--so please clarify the issue, if there is one--and with modern projector lenses you can't see the bulb anyway? I will agree that there is some crap out there which causes unnecessary diffusion of the beam pattern--and they should be removed--hopefully that's what the MOT test should do?--and now we have just about every new bike running LEDs anyway (rear lights have been like it for years and years!)--so will they be illegal when the bikes are tested due to out of date C and U regs??-(mind you C and U regs and MOT tested items and rules are not really linked!)-our C and U regs are typically 20 years out of date at best--e.g kite mark, BS stamp on mufflers and so on-For example, a white number plate illumination light is NOT part of the MOT (hence KTMs etc are sold with just a red tail light as the dangly bit is supplied, but never fitted--and they then pass MOTs)--However, as I understand it, rear number plate illumination is part of the C and U regs, and as such its "illegal" to run without one on the road--but has anybody ever been pulled up for that infringement?-its a world market!--we need a qualified MOT tester to tell us how it really is then?--and also what we may get pulled for on the road.
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

My recent MOT on my CCM GP 450 said as an advisory - noisy exhaust. It is rather noisy having the full fat power commander and muffler upgrade... But, on the other hand, it goes like stink!

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”