nods

Bikers and riding
Jak*

Re: nods

Post by Jak* »

Saw my first Harley of spring a couple of days ago. He did nod back which makes a pleasant change.
Cheers Jak
McCrae72

Post by McCrae72 »

Yeah I always nod, sometimes I’ll wave if I’m just cruising in a straight line. Have noticed the responses dropping year after year, I’d say probably less than 50% respond now.
thebiggestjolly

Post by thebiggestjolly »

So I'm a relative newbie to biking, only riding for 2 years, as such the "nod" was totally new to me. I did my CBT and L plate riding in London, where no-one nods, so when I first ventured out of the M25 I started getting some nods (still on L plates). Quickly picked up the habit of the sideways nod and got over 50% returned whilst on the 125 Varadero - doesn't look like a little bike so that helped I think!

Onto the Transalp 650 and now the Super Ten, I seldom nod in London, but always once I'm outside the north circular, even to cruisers. The 8 year old in me still wants a Harley and a leather vest, even if the 6'5 20st me knows better!

First trip to Europe this summer, I love the lazy hand drop, and the overtaking leg. Even found myself joining in with the peace sign!

I always wondered if police intentionally don't nod back. Got my first cop nod this weekend and I actually cheered out loud!

Really shouldn't be so excited about this topic.... :? :?
threepot

Post by threepot »

Jak* wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:53 pm Saw my first Harley of spring a couple of days ago. He did nod back which makes a pleasant change.
Cheers Jak
I get more nods back from Harley riders than BM's!
I wonder if BMW 's nod to each other?? ;)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I do usually wave --about a 50% response--but also use my flasher--more easily seen (no point with HIDs though!). However, in France its so much more friendly with the dropped hand and leg.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Here in France I cannot honestly remember the last time I failed to get the dropped hand passing a motorcycle, Harley's BMW's included . I commute fairly regularly to the UK (once a month) on my GS and rarely get a Nod, its just disappeared, why is the UK so up their arse not to aknowledge another rider ?
bowber

Post by bowber »

I was out around Hawes area this weekend and got a good amount of nods, what did piss me off though was being broken down up Hartside on Thursday and not one single bike stopped or gave hand signals asking if we needed help.
As it happened I had it in hand and was just waiting for a new battery to be brought back but they didn't know that and the bike was in bits in the layby.

Steve
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

bowber wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 pm I was out around Hawes area this weekend and got a good amount of nods, what did piss me off though was being broken down up Hartside on Thursday and not one single bike stopped or gave hand signals asking if we needed help.
As it happened I had it in hand and was just waiting for a new battery to be brought back but they didn't know that and the bike was in bits in the layby.

Steve
It's a sad state of affairs when people won't stop when you're clearly in trouble.
lmac

Post by lmac »

Not nodding and not stopping for broken down bikers is just an extension of how people seem to be becoming over here these days.

common courtesy such has putting up to other motorists when they let you through a gap for instance also seems to have taken a hit.

Hard enough getting a please or thank you sometimes.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I was parked up outside my house on Saturday taking the toolbox off the pannier rails and a guy on an older GS came past, saw me messing, then turned round to see if I was OK. :D
So chivalry isn't dead just yet.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”