Welsh Road Race 2018 Cancelled

Bikers and riding
hotbulb

Re: Welsh Road Race 2018 Cancelled

Post by hotbulb »

From the Welsh Road Race fbook site...

Welsh Road Race
1 hr ·
The directors of the Welsh Road Race regretfully announce the postponement of the 2018 Welsh Road Race. This is due to recent changes in legislation on the Road Traffic Act in Wales. A date for the 2019 event has already been requested and will be announced shortly.

On the 9th of January this year, there was a hearing with regard to the repeal of the Road Traffic Act. The repeal was to allow the use of closed Public Roads for Motorsport events. This repeal came into effect yesterday, on the 2nd February.

The Welsh Road Race had gained permissions previously, but the current change in legislation, has put the the timescale of the event into jeopardy, as there will not be enough time to obtain the correct permissions now to permit the event.

"We are working closely with the ACU, Crown Properties and Powys County Council to organise the Welsh Road Race, and under the new changes in legislation, the new deadlines that have been imposed, will make it very difficult to carry out a safe and successful event', said Derek Smith, Managing Director of the Welsh Road Race, " the Board of Directors are absolutely devastated, for all the supporters and all concerned with the event. We have began steps to contact all our supporters and sponsors who are involved in the event."

Paul King, Chairman of the ACU Road Race Committee said, "Following concerns raised with the Auto Cycle Union at the end of the year about the proposed Welsh Road Race in August 2018, Members of the ACU Road Race Committee recently met with the event organisers, to understand what was being proposed and what was required for the event to progress.

In order for the ACU Road Race Committee to sanction the event, a list of requirements required from the Organisers was agreed. It would appear that the timetable to achieve the event for 2018 cannot be achieved.

The ACU Road Race Committee will endeavour to assist the organisers in progressing the event for 2019."
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

perhaps to retrieve some credibility, the organisers should look at reimbursing fans' outlays for entry/ferries/accommodation/time off work booked/disappointment ?

(the very minimum should be the valid use of this year's ticket for next year.? ..

ps ... this just shows what a shithole of legislation us trail riders have now got .. and it seems to be worse in wales?
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Allegedly they will be offering a refund on tickets or the option to have your ticket transferred to the 2019 event along with some merchandise goodies. :?:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I'm having trouble understanding what the statement means ........ to me it looks as though the ACU was never really in favour of this event, and has taken the "repeal" (which should have been good news) as an excuse to come up with a whole new set of hoops for the organisers to go through. Or am I being too cynical or unfair?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

TomBoyNI wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:14 pm Allegedly they will be offering a refund on tickets or the option to have your ticket transferred to the 2019 event along with some merchandise goodies. :?:
Well I think I would hang on to any 2018 merchandise. Might be worth something in future, as a celebration of the race that was never held.
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

LOL :lol:

I was thinking of the same thing - I believe they are at the NI Motorcycle Show this weekend - I was gonna try and pick up some pruck :lol:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I read the other month in "Bike" from their resident racer (I can't remember his name off the top off my head) but he reckoned it was a "relatively" safe track. i.e. "where you are likely to get spat off the bike,there are no trees to hit"
Shame,I've made the trip to Eire a couple times to watch the road racing....and it is indeed AWESOME! :)
threepot

Post by threepot »

I ride on the eppyn t ranges often. I know of 4 access roads,only one of which is classed as a public right of way..B4519?
Don't know what this new legislation means,but maybe they think there's not enough access in and out? They don't seem to have any problems holding car rallies there,even the RAC back in the day?
Could be because of the sheep?
Uncle Denz

Post by Uncle Denz »

hotbulb wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm I'm having trouble understanding what the statement means ........ to me it looks as though the ACU was never really in favour of this event, and has taken the "repeal" (which should have been good news) as an excuse to come up with a whole new set of hoops for the organisers to go through. Or am I being too cynical or unfair?
I thought the same. The repeal should have cleared the way. Given that they still have the best part of 6 months it sounds like somebody wants the bureaucracy to get in the way.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

What baffles me is why they sold tickets to an event that wasn't 100% signed and sealed.

I'd seen on another forum they gave a choice of a full refund or keep the tickets until next year and get a free race program, you also got a free ticket to the Aberdare Races where you kept your ticket or not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”