Anyone know what textbooks/study material are used for m/c tech courses?

Bikers and riding
willywombat64

Anyone know what textbooks/study material are used for m/c tech courses?

Post by willywombat64 »

Apart from the haynes workshop series there seems little available ..a few odd books..some very expensive. I know Dans course is free online too .Any other sources ideas as I'd like to get hold of some good reference material. I Will probably contact colleges and ask but anyone seen anything useful about? I'd ideally like a home study course with plenty of video etc.Otherwise it's just manuals/youtube etc which are great tbh and so helpful compared to what was available when I was a youngster many years ago.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Anyone know what textbooks/study material are used for m/c tech courses?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Clymer manuals have good introductory chapters on practice and techniques.
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

I have fiddled/fettled with bikes for 40 years but would like to learn more in a structured way without attending college enabling me to make more complex repairs/ fault diagnoses.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I did a City & Guilds qualification in m/c repair & electrics a while ago at Merton College in London. There were no formal textbooks....we took notes in the classroom sessions and made our own notes in the practical/workshop sessions. The main lecturer, Keith Weighall, had written a few books for Haynes and, as you may expect, recommended these!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I too used be a college lecturer and soon realised that no matter how many reference books we bought for the college library they were only an aid to and never a substitute for inclusive classroom lectures. Many folks like me are not good at “reading” and they need to have the human contact for discussion of ideas to really get a grip of the subject. I passed my 11Plus exams and was sent to a High School where the system was a pre curser for going to university, we were taught by “reading”, well I was totally lost but as soon as I left and went to technical college where we were taught in lectures by committed people who had actually done the job I understood what they were trying to teach me. Thank You Mr Rawlinson wherever you are in the workshop in the sky.

I too produced my own lecture notes but they were really aimed at understanding the evolution of our current technologies and for backup. Discussion was best, further talking with overhead projected pictures and videos, plus sectioned units, were preferable in my experience to helping students’ understanding. I used to update my notes with modern systems and Suzuki Motorcycles were very kind in supplying reference materials for their modern motorcycles so we kept up to date. I very rarely dictated notes although such a process does have its place in education.

As you might imagine I have quite a collection of books but I bought them for the sectioned pictures which I could use to illustrate my own recollections and thoughts. I still have a number of books for motor vehicle electronics and no matter how often I try to read them I simply get lost! I think that folks need face to face discussion and to ‘trap’ their fingers to understand :lol:

Here are is short list of old books which I think might help if you can find copies;

Modern Haynes - Workshop and Tech books are fine - https://haynes.com/en-gb/motorcycle-man ... -techbooks

Reston Pubs - Webster & Putman - "Motorcycle Operation And Service" 0-8359-4669-X
Collins Pubs - "Motorcycles Workshop" 0-00-411860
Osprey publishing Roy Bacon - “Restoring motorcycles” this is a series of books
Temple press - Bernal Osborne - "Modern Motorcycle Maintenance" pre ISBN back to the 60s
Iliffe Books - Torrens - "The Motor Cyclist’s Workshop" - pre ISBN very dated
Iliffe Books - "Motor Cycles and How To Manage Them" - pre ISBN even more dated :roll:

My advice is to try and find an active club where folk talk bikes and have practical demonstrations. I should have said so at the beginning and saved you all that reading :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Just to add one to the list which I've always liked....The Motorcycle Doctor by the late John Robinson (of M/C Mechanics magazine). It essentially relates to bikes up to the late 70's, and can be found s/h on eBay. However, much of the theory is relevant to later machines.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

That new magazine out called "MCN Fixes" has a wealth of useful information and is worth the money £4.99.
Not everybody will agree with all the stuff in the magazine, including me, but it is a good reference publication.
Over time you develop the means to overcome the different challenges you find on some bikes, the key is to keep good records and take plenty of photos.
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

Thanks all ..I'll have a look at the books suggested and the MCN mag but I presume it will be rather basic ? There must be a structured course somewhere with accompanying textbook support . I know hands on is best but when it's wet cold and dark I don't mind a bit of theory.
cheers
Bill
jeannecarlson

Post by jeannecarlson »

Dans course was pretty much everything I needed as a beginner though I also used service essaywriter tech coursebooks and required sources. I was watching so many youtube video (useful, but mostly not) and making my own notes. Unfortunately, I didn't find any affordable all-in-one course other than Dans.
Tim25N

Post by Tim25N »

Here's reviews service https://scamfighter.net/review/edubirdie.com that I often use . It could help you too.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”