Is a decent suspension like night and day or subtle?

Bikers and riding
garyboy

Re: Is a decent suspension like night and day or subtle?

Post by garyboy »

to me .. and possibly the OP .. the idea of the DR350 air-cooled mud-plugging engine .. with Ohlins suspension .. and Brembo brakes ,, is indeed a dream bike!

when I had my ex DR350, I tried to renovate the forks .. but they just ended up the same, despite new oil, seals, bushes, .. the rear shock basically had no rebound, and I could not afford to change it. .. it also needed a new exhaust .. the brakes were shite .. and I did manage to improve them a fair bit with new pistons, pads, pins etc .. but they were still not `acceptable` for the road, at least, as it was capable of a fair turn of speed, 80 easy. .. o .. and the frame was shite looking too, despite frequent cleans. (incidentally, the MT21's , matched with the DR were awesome on rock and easy trails.)

ideally I would have liked that engine in a lower height frame, similar to the Alp4, but with a bit stronger frame, and ohlins u/d? front and long travel ohlins at the rear, with brembos too. Maybe a longer swing arm, but shorter frame? and a high undercarriage? If I had the skills and dosh and resources, I would try to build one :geek: ... now what tyres would I buy .. mmm ?
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

certainly noticed the front brake was worse than awful despite not having ridden her yet ...hel braided hose was duly ordered and awaits fitting ! whether that'll be enough we'll see. I shall tackle the forks /shocks depending on how they feel from a subjective point of view . Height is fine as i have long legs! Bars may be raised though. Watch this space .
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

probably the brake pistons need replacing .. I don't think they sell piston seals separately now, and the whole piston/seal is not much dearer. New fluid and bleed. (apparently a syring is best). I dont think the brake lines will make much difference? but worth a go if perished a bit? I never overhauled the main brake reservoir on mine, just cleaned it ? General clean, and grease the pins, new probably needed.

I got it so there was no air in the system, .. a good solid hand lever. .. but they were still poor. The design is limited, i suppose.
Perhaps the lines Do make a difference?

ps .. once fixed, .. at low speed on tarmac the brakes were great .. but they would not respond so well at high speeds on tarmac. Off road they were fine.

pps .. the pistons seize up from salts forming under the seals

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”